Tying a dead chicken around their neck

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
14 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
I had heard this before but never gave it any thought until someone brought it up today. This was a sad day in our house, our 7-month old Standard Poodle killed all but one of our young chickens, and the remaining one is questionable if it will survive. We have 8-9 week old young purebreds that we got as chicks and 8 Dark Cornish hens. The hens have been chasing her lately, so she has not been bothering them much, and we used some shock therapy to drive the point home that she is not allowed to chase them. Well, she has been doing fantastic for the last couple of weeks so we decided it was time to let the young chickens out to get a little free range time. We thought she was sleep outside the door today, but when we went out, she had gone on a killing spree. Thank goodness she didn't do in the hens too, but I am not happy. So, this friend said her dad would tie a dead chicken around their dogs neck to drag around if it killed one. I would like to know if anyone has ever done this and does it work? Also, what is the philosophy behind this method? I think we will just put up and in-ground fence to keep her out of their space and get some fencing up for the younger ones who are pretty much defenseless against her, but I would still like to know about this.

Ok, I know I may regret this later, but I will admit we tried this after a friend told us that her Grandmother always did it when she was a kid and a dog killed her chickens. She said she would discipline the dog first with the dead chicken-as a tool, and then tie the chicken around the dogs neck for the day.

So, a little history...We have 2 dogs, a black lab and a rat terrier, and had about 20 chickens. My black lab killed one of my chicks at about 14wks and about the same time our terrier killed one also, I was devastated. It was when they(chickens) would come out of the cage they were in and would fly and jump because they were so happy. So, we did what our friend said. And I have to say-it works! We still free range our dogs and our chickens and haven't lost another chicken to our dogs. Not that we haven't lost them to the neighbors dog-we saw the carcasses in their yard. But I have seen Sarge, black lab, just lay there as the chickens walk around them-like he doesn't care. Those chickens are now 32wks.

I hope this helps. I know there are people out there that will probably use angry words in response to this but I wanted to let you know that it does work.

I did it as a kid and it worked.... he would go into his dog house if the chickens came scratching around.

I heard about this method from old timers but, the theory also was that the smell of the dead, rotting chicken would help the message sink home. The dog couldn't get away from the dead chicken until it was so rotted it just fell apart. BUt then again, some dogs love to roll in carrion, so who knows. It's worth a try tho. Nowadays they would call it aversion therapy.

Thank you for your replies. I told my hubby about it and he is skeptical, but I believe that if that was how the "old timers" did it, then there must be some validity to it. And I do not look down at those of you who have tried it. It can't be any worse that the shocking that the collar gives her that we have already used with mixed emotions. If we try this i will post our results.

This is what is called a superstition--if it works or happens once or twice it must always be so. Well its not true for the great majority. The dog may just finish eating chicken or the rotting meat can attract flies and then maggots. Sorry for the let down.

It works on some, but not all. I think that dogs don't really mind the smell of a dead and rotting thing around their necks. After all, look at what they like to roll in. I think that what really bothers them is how people avoid and scorn them because the dead and rotting carcas is around their neck. It sounds like your dog just shouldn't be trusted any longer with the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom