1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tying off umbilical? Anyone on line now that can help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jenikate, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jenikate

Jenikate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    At the end of a very successfull hatch...except this last one...too big and was shrink wrapped..pipped a LONG time ago. Had to intervene. Yolk is absorbed, got her out of the shell, EXCEPT for one piece of shell with umbilical. I know I may lose her nomatter what and she would have NEVER emerged without assistance, but I have to try tosave it!
    Any quick advice is welcome!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Dont pull it off. You could take nail clippers that have been cleaned in alchol and clip it as close to the shell part as possible and see how she does , make sure non of the other babies pick at it so maybe hold her in your shirt for awile if your warm ( sit her on a small hand towel or paper towel so she dosnt poo on you. Can you post a pick. She should be ok how is she acting.??

3. Jenikate

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Oh I dont care about the poo :)
    She is starting to make some noise...been about 3 hours with out the shell...really dont want to touch if for fear of doing worse, but afraid remaining shell will perforate it...

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Usually they dry up and the shell pieace drops off. If not go ahead and caefully cut it . If she seems listless you can try very carefully to give her a drink of pedylte or water with a little sugar in it to give her a boost . Most babies are a little bit tired when they first hatch , hatching is hard work so some rest . Just keep an eye on her and see how she does and do what you think she needs .

5. Jenikate

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    DOne and done. Its a waiting game...:) I removed most of the shell EASILY form themembrane..now I guess I just wait...

6. Jenikate

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Update on the baby...I went with my gut on this one and reduced humidity in the bater and slowly pulled away little bits that were dried up. It kept sticking to the bottom of the bater and when she would struggle it would pull, so I basically stood watch until 2 am. Shell and umbilical detatched so I went to bed...despite being hatched for 8 hours, she looked like a fresh out of the egg chick....dried sticky and matted. WOke up at 7 am to an active, and slightly fluffier little chick :) SO far so good today...I k now things could change but I am staying hopeful! A beautiful little F2 Olive Egger!

7. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Sometimes with higher humidity they have trouble detaching the umbilical. All you can really do is what you did & clip bits as it dries if it sticks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by