Tylan 50 baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Arkkeeper, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Arkkeeper

Arkkeeper Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    We have a Dominique chick that is 2 weeks old. I had everyone in pine shavings and think the dust got stirred up with everyone kicking because we changed the bedding. It was the bottom of the bag and everyone was going to town. 2 hours later went back and this little one was sneezing. Took them out of the shavings and 3 days later he is still sneezing and his breathing is shallow and rapid and a slight clicking when I listen. I'm now worried it might be an infection setting in. I have ACV 1/4 teaspoon in the quart of water along with vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic mix (rooster booster) and 3 drops of VetRx so each drink gets some on the beak.

I have Tylan 50, but can I add it to a little bit of food or does it need to be injected? Worried about muscle damage in this little one. Is it once a day or twice a day? I'm pretty sure he needs .125cc's due to being a little thing. Anyone have any advice or know?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. You could give give 1/4 ml twice a day orally. I wouldn't give a baby chick an injection either. Clicking can be a sign of respiratory problems. I saw it in a 2 week old chick that had a leaking air sac, but it may be due to something else. Where did the chick come from--a breeder, your own hatch, or a hatchery? Is there any watery eyes or swelling around the eye? Infectious bronchitis and mycoplasma (MG) can cause sneezing, but it could also be environmental. Make sure the overhead air circulation is good, the brooder is clean and dry, and prevent dust and ammonia odors. Let us know what happens, and I hope he gets better soon.

3. Arkkeeper

Arkkeeper Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    It came from our local farm store. No swelling of eyes or anything else. Eating and drinking fine as well! I will keep you posted! THANK YOU!!!

4. Arkkeeper

Arkkeeper Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you feel any air pockets under the skin on her sides or neck?

6. Arkkeeper

Arkkeeper Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    No I don't feel any air pockets. If you blow the video up full size you can see how one side where her feathers start on her beak is pulsating in and out with every breath and the other is not. I am so worried about this little one, but take it as a good sign that she is still eating and drinking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by