tylan 50 damaging the muscle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cremesoda34, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Cremesoda34

Cremesoda34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    our tom turkey got a sinus infection so we treated with tylan 50 gave him 4 cc as he weighs about 40 pounds. went out to give him his day 3 shot and noticed on his breast where we alternate injections sites that the tissue is sagging a little and just not right. I knew this tylan would cause tissue damage and my question is will it hurt him and will the muscle repair itself and go back to normal?
    He is a pet and not for eating but was to be my daughters 4H turkey in july.

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That sounds strange to me but I don't know much about it. Hadn't heard about tissue damage. I wonder if it would be better to switch to oral or to another injectable. Depends on how sick the bird is and whether oral is sufficient.

Could it be that there's fluid from the injectable under the skin? There is also a situation where air pockets from the lungs come out to the tissue. If you think it's air you might do a search here because it's come up.

There was a situation where it sounds like some birds are allergic to certain antibiotics and in one case it wasn't allergy but an overdosing which abruptly killed a bird so check the dose.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    That muscle damage is probably permanent. That is one of the risks of using injectable Tylan. I believe it is listed on the package insert as one of the risks. It should not cause him any problems.

Sorry.

4. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I stopped the tylan right after I put this thread up because I don't want to hurt him and he is eating as of this morning. I did order some denagard soluble after lots of research found it works so much better and won't harm them. Hope that he won't need anything by the time the denagard gets here but at least I will have some just in case. He is swollen right under his eyes and does anyone know if this will go down by itself or will I have to drain with needle? I hate the thought of sticking a needle in there if I don't have to. This is our first turkey and a big tom at that and turkeys are a learning experience for me. I have not had any problems with my chickens and they have never been sick so this is why I have all these questions. Our chickens are seperate from our 2 turkeys. Any help or suggestions would be great.

5. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    I was told by the vet that I was to use 1cc of the( tylan 50) per 10 pounds so that's why I gave him 4cc as he weighs 40 pounds maybe a little over.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Well, as a human nurse we generally put no more than 2cc per injection and that's in a person's rear end. Can go up to 3, but that's pushing it. 4cc seems like a lot to push into a turkey in one injection but your vet knows better than I do. :)

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    You have to be careful because not all vets really specialize in chickens.

8. Cremesoda34

Oct 20, 2011
    logansport ,indiana
    chkn, You very well could be right, He is a vet recomended from a few farmers that live around us. They raise cattle and pigs so I figured this vet is more for farmers than dogs and cats. I also called the 800 number on the tylan bottle and they put me through to their vet and the vet for tylan said yes the tylan does damage the muscle and I asked about putting it down the throat as I have seen on a few threads and the vet from tylan said do not put injectable in the throat as it will damage the throat. I am so very glad I never put this down his throat. I couldn't imagine how painful that would have been and the damage it would have done. The vet from tylan did say the soluble form was ok and causes no damage. Think this will be the first and last turkeys we will own, Never had any problems with our chickens getting sick and I am so glad they are housed 30 feet or so away from each other. I have seen where some say they can get allergies and colds like us and We all had this sinus type bug hit us about a week before the turkey got sick. Is that possible ? I even googled it and found alot on how poultry can get cold viruses and stuff like that from us. I know and have found out that you can't believe everything you read on the internet but was curious as to if anyone has heard the same and if they knew if it was true.
    thank you all for the input and info it does help us newbies, well newbie to turkeys [​IMG]

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Tylan 50 can be given orally, it doesn't have to be injected into chickens. I'm sure it's the same with turkeys. You can use the syringe with no needle and squirt it into the mouth.

1 person likes this.
  10. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Cream soda I have a medicine excel spread sheet if anyone wants it it gives the dosage for most of the common meds includign tylan 50 you just punch in your chickens weight and it tells you how much, pm me if you want it, I use tylan 50 and I dont give in the muscle. I give as a Sub -Q shot so that it absorbs into the body over a longer period of time and you cant go wrong with sub-Q.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by