Tylan 50 dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarahxamelia, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Sarahxamelia

Sarahxamelia Just Hatched

Dec 26, 2016
    My chicken is abou five pounds her eye was watery looking an I was told o get tylan 50 how much do I give her I was told 1ml twice a day to five days is this correct? Last night I gave her 1ml orally.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's a very good question, and I don't know the answer. The instructions for the powder say that they need 50 mg per pound per day, so if you went by that you would want to give 2.5 ml twice a day.

Quote:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I usually tell people to give 0.2 ml of Tylan 50 per pound twice a day, since it says in the Plumb Veterinary Drug Handbook to give 10-40 mg per Kilogram (or 5-20 mg per pound) 2-3 times a day. 0.2 ml equals 10 mg, so 1 ml equals 50 mg, so kind of a middle of the road dose. Tylan is fairly safe given orally in bigger doses, and since one may find many varying dosages from online sources, I would pick the one I thought was useful and stick to it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I know the smaller doses have worked for many, and even a once a day injection works for some, so I think it boils down to what one feels comfortable doing.

5. Sarahxamelia

Dec 26, 2016
    I will just do 1ml twice a day. Since yesterday she has not been eating much. Is it ok to put some Nutri drench in her water?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she'll still drink the water with it in there it will be fine.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's more economical to give it orally 1-3 ml daily, but many put it in the water or food. As Kathy said, as long as she drinks it in the water, that is good. I usually can get sick chickens to eat chopped scrambled egg, but make sure her crop is functioning normally. Check early in the morning at daylight to see if it has emptied. Sick birds can have a slow crop.

I just wanted to clarify above that I was talking about Nutridrench dosage being 1-3 ml orally.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  8. Sarahxamelia

Dec 26, 2016
    I go the tylan 50 Monday evening and I gave her 1ml that night on Tuesday I gave her 1ml in the morning and night Wednesday was the same but I decided to giver her 1.5 ml wed night. This morning I gave her around 1.5ml how long does it take to notice a difference? She isn't eating she's just sitting there her eye is closed (only one of them) I have been washing her eye and cleaning near it.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get a picture of her eye? Is there a lot or swelling or pus in there? If she is not drinking or eating, I would consider tube feeding her if possible. Casportpony has a good thread called "go team tube feeding" if you do a search at the top of this page or Google it. You can use aquarium air tubing if you melt one end to soften it so it doesn't cut the throat, and a 35 ml syringe from the feed store. Better is to get a feeding tube from your vet. The link above has videos and instructions. Many grind up chicken feed and mix it with water, but KayTee baby bird feed is also used.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by