Tylan 50 for respiratory?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBoPeep1, Jan 23, 2019.

1. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Songster

Mar 12, 2015
    My birds have recently been sick with some respiratory disease (mostly sneezing and rattly voice) and one hen has a swollen face. I got Tylan 50 for them but now they seem better (an occasional sneeze) should I give them the medication anyways? Also, I am going to be introducing a new chicken....I know, not ideal....so just wondering if that will change anything with whether or not to medicate the flock.
    Thanks!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Personally, I wouldn't medicate if they seem to be getting better. I have used Tylan 50 in the past for respiratory where I could hear the difficulty and it helped.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I've never used Tylan, but agree with above. If you don't need medication, don't use it.

casportpony and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Why would you introduce a new chicken into your existing sick flock? Sorry, that doesnt make sense. You need to maintain a closed flock. No birds in or out, and dont sell or give away eggs to be hatched.
    Whatever disease it is, it'll eventually spread throughout your flock and you'll have to medicate all of them.
    I have a question for you; the hen that has a swollen face, does she have a foul odor around her head or mouth?

Eggcessive and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: