Tylan 50 Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantychicken, Feb 24, 2015.

1. bantychicken

bantychicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    This might count as a double thread I'm so sorry if it does but Im going to need an answer to my questions before I will attempt to get the injection of it to my mini bantam Penguin. He is on Oxytetracycline powder in his water but I want to give him something that will make him feel better faster. He has some sort of upper respiratory infection/disease and I was told on another post Tylan 50 works wonders. The dosage for him would be 1/4 ml and I was told to get a 22 gauge 3cc syringe. I know to put the needle in sideways just under the skin in the breast muscle, make sure I'm not hitting blood, then slowly inject the antibiotic. I was told once a day for three days to do this.

My questions are:

1. Should I take him off the Oxytetracycline when I give him the first shot?
    2. Should I wait 12 to 24 hours before giving the next injection? (I know to alternate breasts)
    3. And should I be aware of any deadly side affects of this? Should I watch him for a while after I give him an injection to make sure nothing bad happens like a seizure or anything like that or is that something that won't ever happen?

Sorry again if this counts as a double post I just need to know! Thanks!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    Will the necrosis be deadly?

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It wasn't in my hen, it was just a nasty spot of muscle that died.

-Kathy

7. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    What should I look for? I gave him the shot about 30 minutes ago and he didn't have an allergic reaction which is good, but there is a little red spot where the needle went in (a little bigger since the needle was a 20 gauge because they didn't have 22 gauge but they said the 20 would work. Is the red spot normal? I'm worried about necrosis now.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't worry about it. My hen developed a round area about the size of a dime 3-5 days after the injection.

-Kathy

9. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    Ok so I'll watch it. You just gave me a huge relief I'm sitting here worried about if I did the right thing giving him the shot. He looks like he might get a bruise is that normal? I bruise when I get shots but I'm different than him you know, I'm just a little weary about it because it looks like a bit of a bruise might come in. I feel so bad for doing that to him he made a purring noise at me (it was obvious he was uncomfortable/in pain and or shocked) and my heart broke I was about to cry. Is a 20 gauge ok? I don't know if the purring noise was a "Uh mom *** are you doing?!" or a "Ow! Mom that HURTS!!"

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    20 is a little big, but it should be fine. Just keep an eye on that spot. If it does turn black, promise me you'll take some pictures for educational purposes. [​IMG]

Curiously, why are you treating him?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by