tylan 50 - how long to inject?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vsolosky, Nov 30, 2012.

1. vsolosky

vsolosky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    Easton, Pa
    Hi - I'm currently treating my 23 week old chicken with Tylan 50 (injected in the back of her neck) because I believe she had Corzya (bubbly eye, nasal discharge and she smelled TERRIBLE)

She's had 3 injections of 1/2 cc so far. her eyes aren't AS bubbly, but still are a tad. She doesn't smell bad anymore. She's active, eating and drinking. (She's been inside since starting the injections).

My question is, how long should I keep injecting her? When she first had these symptoms, I treated her with tetracycline powder (duramycin?) for a week. She was better and I released her, only to have her get "sick" again, just as bad, a week later. I'm afraid that she'll come right back down with it if I don't treat it long enough...

Thanks a bunch!!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
  3. cbenson6820

cbenson6820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    3 days is usually not long enough. its 1/2 cc injection once a day for 5-7 days or up to 2 weeks if needed. If the chicken is not improving after 4-5 days you can up it to 1/2cc twice a day per doctor brown the chicken doctor.

1 person likes this.
  4. cbenson6820

cbenson6820 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    i've seen baytril knock out coryza in 3 days though. thats some powerful stuff.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yes, it is powerful, expensive, and requires a prescription. Hence, it is not available to everyone or available quickly...

1 person likes this.
  6. vsolosky

vsolosky Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    Easton, Pa
    thanks! she is improving. she no longer stinks and she only has a little bit of bubbles in her eyes. she's had 4 injections now (1/2 cc once daily). how long do you think i should do it? until the bubbles are completely gone? and once they are gone, do you think i still should give another dose or two? sorry for so many questions, i just want to make her better and make sure she's better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by