Tylan 50 in bread?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChrissyD425, Feb 24, 2016.

1. ChrissyD425

ChrissyD425 New Egg

May 7, 2015
    My girls have some sort of a respiratory illness- symptoms-one with a barky type cough and the other with a runny nose and taking breaths with an open mouth from time to time but no noticeable wheezing or rattling. One of my other girls died yesterday- she was the worst off with labored breathing and wheezing/rattling. I had treated them before with Duramycin 10 in the water but since since the sudden onset again and one girl dying yesterday I went and bought Tylan 50 inject able- all my tractor supply had was 20g 1/2 needles which seem so big for my girls who are only about 4 months old. My question is: can I give it to them by way of soaking the dose in bread and having them eat it? I know I should give it to them by shot but I have a needle phobic husband and he has gotten me so anxious about this that I will try any other way but shot right now. Thank you for your advice.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 is commonly given orally as well as by injection. So, you can give it with bread or give it orally with a needless syringe.

3. ChrissyD425

ChrissyD425 New Egg

May 7, 2015
    Thank you Eggcessive, I did do some further reading and found that I could dose my 2 girls with bread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by