Tylan 50 injections after Duramycin

BrichterFarms

Hatching
Aug 8, 2020
I quarantined 4 Of my 13 chickens last week for the beginning signs of an upper respiratory problem. My other 9 have been symptom free the entire week and well. I treated the 4 with Duramycin 10 for 7 days and they were great after day 5. Day 7 I put them back out.
It is now 4 days later and 2 of the 4 are sneezing and sniffly again. Eating and drinking well.

I finally got a bottle of tylan 50 injectable and my needles will be here today. Should I just give them doses of tylan? How many mls and is it once a day for 2 days? I am seeing conflicting reports. They range from 3-5 months and are about 3-6 lbs respectively. Is there a way to come up with the dose mg/kg or is it a standard dose per bird?

Would appreciate any advice from others who have dealt with this before!
Thanks! ❤️ 🐓

I quarantined 4 Of my 13 chickens last week for the beginning signs of an upper respiratory problem. My other 9 have been symptom free the entire week and well. I treated the 4 with Duramycin 10 for 7 days and they were great after day 5. Day 7 I put them back out.
It is now 4 days later and 2 of the 4 are sneezing and sniffly again. Eating and drinking well.

I finally got a bottle of tylan 50 injectable and my needles will be here today. Should I just give them doses of tylan? How many mls and is it once a day for 2 days? I am seeing conflicting reports. They range from 3-5 months and are about 3-6 lbs respectively. Is there a way to come up with the dose mg/kg or is it a standard dose per bird?

Would appreciate any advice from others who have dealt with this before!
Thanks! ❤ 🐓
Could environment be causing some of their problems? How much ventilation is in your coop?

Ideally, you should not have to treat birds so soon. Do you notice any discharge from the eyes or facial swelling?
Finding out what illness you are dealing with is always a good idea, talk to your vet or state lab about some testing.

You ask about the Tylan50 dosing so here it is.
Injectable Tylan50 dose is to give .25ml per pound of weight orally 3 times a day for 5 days.

I would not inject, I would give orally since the medication needs to be given multiple times a day. You risk injection sight necrosis when injecting Tylan50.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. No swelling of the eyes, no ocular discharge. Just some clear nasal discharge. I have 2 ventilation slots on my coop. They are 4 inches tall and span 3 feet. One is on the front and one is on the back. My flock has a 40x11 run with dirt and rocks in it. They free range in our yard (no pesticides, sprays or even citronella candles used ever). We had a very bad storm 3 weeks ago that brought a lot of salt water from the Atlantic onto the leaves and trees came down. I was wondering if that could be an irritant because it seemed to begin a few days later. I do use First Saturday lyme sparingly in their coop. My roo was one of the 4 and before i started him on duramycin he sounded like a donkey. He sounds better now, just sneezes often. Exotic vets are hard to come by here in the suburbs of Long Island. And I have been in the field for 11 years, just with dogs and cats. So I automatically assume URI, force of habit.

Hi. Thank you for your reply. No swelling of the eyes, no ocular discharge. Just some clear nasal discharge. I have 2 ventilation slots on my coop. They are 4 inches tall and span 3 feet. One is on the front and one is on the back. My flock has a 40x11 run with dirt and rocks in it. They free range in our yard (no pesticides, sprays or even citronella candles used ever). We had a very bad storm 3 weeks ago that brought a lot of salt water from the Atlantic onto the leaves and trees came down. I was wondering if that could be an irritant because it seemed to begin a few days later. I do use First Saturday lyme sparingly in their coop. My roo was one of the 4 and before i started him on duramycin he sounded like a donkey. He sounds better now, just sneezes often. Exotic vets are hard to come by here in the suburbs of Long Island. And I have been in the field for 11 years, just with dogs and cats. So I automatically assume URI, force of habit.
If the Duramycin helped, then you could try the Tylan50 to see if that clears them up completely.

Back
Top Bottom