Tylan 50 & other medication questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RRLaney, Nov 1, 2016.

1. RRLaney

RRLaney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX
    Hey y'all,
    So the short version of my story is I have a 3-4 month old (tiny) pullet who is a mutt (maybe mixed with a production red) who has been very sick for almost a week now. I recently had another cochin pullet that I got at the same time as her die with similar symptoms.
    She is very lethargic and sneezing, has gurgling/crackly lung sounds in inspiration, and I think has/had tapeworm. We noticed a couple days ago what we think was a tapeworm segment in her poop...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1139763/help-quick-this-poor-chicken-cant-catch-a-break-updated
    We treated with cat tapeworm wormer (cause that is all we could get at the time) and she seemed *slightly* better. She is still eating and drinking and her poop looks better.
    We started injectable Tylan 50 the next day.
    0.5cc injected into her breast muscle. I think her respiratory symptoms have improved a little. But today I noticed that she was back to being extremely lethargic again.

So my question(s) is:
    Is there any sort of drug interaction between the Tylan 50 and the praziquantel (wormer)? Maybe the Tylan is making the wormer not work? Maybe we dosed the wormer wrong?

Also,
    How long does Tylan take to kick in before they are better?
    And same question about the wormer for tapeworm? Should I redoes after shes done with the Tylan?

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for the help!

2. RRLaney

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX
    Is there anyone that can help? I'm determined to save this pullets life!

3. runt325

runt325 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    u need to post this in the incubating with friends sally sunshine thread banty chooks thread

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I don't know about drugs interactions between the two, but will look them up later. How much does she weigh?

-Kathy

5. RRLaney

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX

Thank you! She weighs 1.6 lbs. she's tiny, we've had her for about a month and I'm not sure she's ever really gained any weight. The other chicken we lost to these symptoms was tiny too. So tapeworm makes sense to me, especially cause we found what looked like tapeworm segments in her poop. Maybe the cat wormer didn't work? She's even more lethargic today than yesterday.
    Only positives are that she's still eating (mostly just when we hand feed her snacks though like hard boiled egg and tuna and pumpkin), she's still drinking, and her respiratory symptoms seem to be getting better.

6. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I hope it is something that Kathy or someone can help you with. Did they have it in quarantine? How long after introduction did they get sick? Have you had a respiratory illness or sneezing in the rest of the flock in the past?

7. RRLaney

May 1, 2016
    Round Rock, TX

We got this pullet from a breeder when she was around 12 weeks approximately and we haven't had her for too long. We got 4 at that time, 2 are growing and doing great, one passed away from similar symptoms about 3 weeks ago, and now this one is sick. These were the two tiniest ones. All 4 were perfectly happy and healthy when we got them and integrated into the flock nicely. She's been out there for about a month and she just got sick this last weekend. We've never had any chickens with respiratory illnesses before. We've had this one quarantined in the house for 3 days now.

The only thing is we are tackling dry fowl pox right now and Arryn does have a couple bumps even though she's been vaccinated. Wondering if she got the respiratory symptoms from having a suppressed immune system from that? All the other chickens (with and without fowl pox) are doing perfectly fine.

8. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I don't know. I asked about quarantine, because I learned too late about keeping myself separate, and using a single possible sacrificial lamb from your flock for weeks three to five to see if either group infects the other. I am too inexperienced to know, but it could be something your adult flock carries that these two were visibly infected by or something else. That is something I am not informed enough yet to comment on.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are you weighing her daily? At her age she should be making daily weight gains, and she should be drinking close to 10-18% of her weight per day. Are you sure she's getting enough water? Is a vet an option?

@minihorse927 has used injectable Tylan before and was told to give the injections 3 times an day, which is what all my books say. Cattle and swine (I think) are the only ones that get 1 shot per day.

-Kathy

10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Yes I have used tylan 50 injectable as an injection. I had a bird who had aspergillosis(sp?) and developed a respiratory infection on top of it and was told to use tylan 50 @.2cc per pound of body weight 3 times daily for 5 days. It did treat the respiratory in about 3.5 days and the rattling in her chest was gone. Also was prescribed a antifungal but cannot remember what that was. Never had a sick one since and she is still here. Have also used tylan 50 to treat an ear infection recently.

Are you sure she isn't also carrying cocci?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by