Tylan 50 question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flyballgirl, Aug 18, 2013.

1. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    I just started our chicken on Tylan 50 last night. Any thought on how quickly we would see results if she is responding (respiratory infection?)? I thought she was better this morning - she was walking around and eating and drinking. Then a bit later she was only sitting still with her tail in the air and then she fell over and could not get herself up. Since then she has only been sitting and her tail is up and her head on the floor.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You should see results in 2-3 days.

3. flyballgirl

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you.

4. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    What kind of symptoms other than what you listed is she having? How did you decide on Tylan?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. flyballgirl

Aug 3, 2013
    Christie22701,
    The symptoms started with her stretching her neck and opening her mouth really wide. This was the only symptom for a while. Then she was sneezing a little and her right eye was closed. We brought her home (she lives with a friend as we cannot have chickens on our property) and treated her with duramycin 10. She was also lethargic and not moving around. We would have to put her food and water right in front of her and move her head toward the bowls for her to realize they were there. After a while she was still stretching her neck so we thought it might be gapeworm so I treated her with a de-wormer. This did not seem to relieve any symptoms at all and she seemed to get worse so we decided she probably had a respiratory infection (which is what we thought originally) but it was too far along to respond to the first med and the Tylan was recommended on this site. I got the injectable and today in the afternoon she looked to be feeling much better. She has been walking around and eating and drinking quite a lot. I'm hoping that she is much better tomorrow since she got the second dose tonight. That is all I can think of. Thanks,
    --Denise

7. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Does she have a foul smell from her nares? Does she have a runny nose? Is the any gurgling in her chest? Any bubbles in her eyes? If so, you are probably dealing with Infectious Coryza. The injectable Tylan 50 should be 1/2 per cc/ml for an adult size bird and should do a five day treatment. Inject at a 45 degree angle and not too deep, more sub-Q than deep muscle. You should notice the smell going away within 3 days and symptoms should go away within a week. Discard eggs for a week after the end of the five days. That is all information that I have gathered here on this website and I am currently undergoing the same treatment for my birds. This forum has been priceless. I have learned so much valuable information. Keep reading...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by