Tylan 50.... (treated... how long does it take?)

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I have 200 broilers to treat... they are 4 weeks old. I can only get the injectable is this possible to do 200 chickens like this? Is there a way to make up a water soulution that they can drink with this?

How many days do I have to inject 200 birds with meds?

OMG.... this is going to suck!! HELP... LOL.... Sigh....
th.gif

Can I put the meds down their throat or do I have to inject them? I'm off to TSC to get the Tylan 50 right now.... hopefully I have the right stuff.

Last edited:
I had a post that stated they had CRD.... they have all of the signs for it and I'm quite familure with this disease. I've culled heavily in the past from hard lessons learned. This time around I have only had hatchery birds straight from the start. Broilers have been on pasture since 7 days old and id great... last night I noticed some have the signs... gurgling in chest.... frothy eyes.... and swollen nostriles with a little bit of discharge.

I picked up Tylan to inject them with (didn't have the water soluble form) and I also picked up Duramycin which is for CRD that is water soluble. But I have heard that most of these broad spectrum antibiotics don't do the trick by themselves and need something stronger like the Tylan 50. I went with the 50 as I thought the 200 would be a bit too much.

My questions are these....

Do I inject in the skin? Or Muscles?

How long do I inject the birds for 3 days?

How much for 4 week old broilers... they are about 1 lb (1/2 cc ??)

I have the powder Duramycin... is this a week long thing? It says 7-14 days.

How much of the Duramycin? Active ingridient is tetracycline hydrochloride....

What a headache....

Thanks....

THIS IS MY OTHER POST..... Thanks in advance....

Have a batch of broilers that seems to have got CRD. They have all the signs. Not sure how this happens I've only delt with two hatcheries and one was tested for MG the other was not tested for it. I could see this on the NPIP paperwork, so not sure how it happend. I'm on a brand new piece of property and have learned my lesson with this disease over the years as I only bought stock from hatcheries... no breeders... no run of the mill chicks. Well needless to say it didn't matter 200 birds are now sick with this terrible disease.

I have 500 turkeys and 200 broilers in the brooder ready to go outside any day. They aren't sick as of right now but I want to keep them that way. What would be a safe distance for them to be away from?

I thought CRD was transmitted through direct contact? These birds are raised in a tractor out in a field by themselves?

I have 200 broilers that are 4 weeks old and will be ready to process in three weeks if there growth isn't stunted too badly. What would you use for them? I have found a Tylan at tractor supply that is used for cattle and swine... is it ok for chickens? It doesn't say poultry so not sure? I have Durimyicin (sp) would this work? I think it's a broad spectrum antibiotic and not sure if it's powerfull enough.

As of last night about 20% were sick the rest were fine. I'm going to treat them all as to try and nip it in the butt.

My biggest concerns are the layers as if they get sick I'm in a whole world of hurt. 300 layers for eggs coming down with CRD would make things difficult around here. If I can isolate this case for 3 more weeks I would be ok.

What is the best way to disenfect for this disease after these birds are gone? Ground? Feeders? Waters? Pens?

Thanks guys... I pretty sure this is a common question in this part of the forum so I'm hopping for some good input.

I treated all 200 with a half cc of Tylan. Birds are about 1-2 lbs each. I put 15 scoops of Duramycin in 5 gallons of water...

Does this sound right?

Now what...? When will I see signs of a turn around? I caught it pretty early as only about 40% of them were gurgling/sneezing/coughing...

Someone has to have some info on this disease? There should be some kind of sticky at the top of this page just for this reason....

JMO but links from various sites aren't as helpful as some of the other BYC members that have been through this.... threehorses post stuck out to me and quite frankly was way more helpfull than links and websites I tried to look for. It seems like when I searched BYC for CRD or Tylan.... your name kept coming up... keep up the good work as it's people like you that make BYC great....

Many others were helpful in this search too....

I think it would be a good idea that a few of you should get together and make a doccument to be stickied for future references so people don't have to spend 3 hours here looking for answers... kinda like what I did this morning. The meat section has a step by step process on how to "process" a chicken.... I'm kind of bumbed not to see anthing stickied here with good info.

Types of diseases.... signs... and the appropriate medications are a good information as Respitory diseases in general are very complicated to the beginner.... Things to keep in a first aid too should be good thing as well.

Enough with my rant.... can anyone guide me in the right direction as to what to do next? One day down I guess two more to go?

Last edited:
You can get Tylan soluble at firststatevetsupply.com. The other antibiotics aren't as broad spectrum and Tylan will work the best. I wish people would get meds before getting chickens. You never know when you will need it.

Don't take that personally. It's not meant toward you. Good luck with the CRD. I'm sure everyone will be fine. Sounds like you caught it in time.

Ya your right... it should be something mandatory... lol... It would be nice to have a sticky that said that. Stating what you should have... why you should have it and.... when you should use it.

I used almost a whole bottle of Tylan on 200 birds. It was $10.00 at my local TSC.

Have you delt with this disease? How long does it take to go away or to see signs of improvement.

I know it's not a curable disease but these are broilers and they will be gone in three more weeks anyway... I just want to make them healthy with a good withdraw time.

God forbid it spreads to the layers..... sigh....

Last edited:
I used Tylan soluble. Their water needed to be treated for 7 days. Everyone came out just fine. Threehorses gave me suggestions on what to put in my Chicken First Aid kit. Maybe you can find that link. I think everyone should have bandages, antibiotic ointment, blood stop powder, screw worm spray and duct tape.

I just like to be prepared.

I don't have any information regarding the Tylan injectable or the duramycin treated water.

Back
Top Bottom