Tylan 50

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lfoose, Jul 26, 2010.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I have a couple of hens w/the bubbly eye. THey don't have that smell yet. So we bought some Tylan 50 from TSC and it expires 7/2010. Does anyone know if I can use it still it? I don't know how much of a suggestion the expiration date is on meds.

2. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i would use it.i personally use meds that are years expired with fine results.

Since your exp is the current month i cant see why the tylan wouldnt work... BTW .. WHERE do you buy yours?

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If I had just bought it, I would take it back. But, it should be fine. I use meds that have expired also, but you shouldn't have to pay that price for meds that are expiring now. They should have taken it off the shelf.

4. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I bought it from Tractor Supply. I can't tell you how much trouble I have had w/them in the last couple of months. Running short on feed, running short on pine shavings, rudeness. The only reason I got this Saturday at TSC is because a couple of my hens look like they may be getting a resp. infection...and the Tylan I have on hand expired in 2008...maybe 2009 I forgot now.

5. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Technically it hasn't expired yet but I would return it for one with a longer shelf life. I agree with the other posters, you can use it but why not get one that will last longer without you worrying about it the next time you need to.

6. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i would definitely return it if you just bought it

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Personally, I prefer to use Duramycin over Tylan; I get better results.

8. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    What is the dosage for Duramycin?

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I don't have the bottle in front of me. I'm thinking it is something like 1/2cc per 9 lbs or some such thing.

By the way, I typically give it by mouth. Though you can give it in the breast. Also, a couple of drops in the eye that shows the 'bubbles.'

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  10. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Thanks. Can that be done w/the Tylan too? I read on another post something about giving them the Tylan orally instead of injection. Is that true?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by