1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    My BA Hen that is 8 months, starting doing something that sounds like a sneeze, a cough, and a hiccup mixed together. This started Tuesday(at the least) and someone suggested that i use Tylan 50. My question is what's the dosage? is there an egg withdrawel? how long do i keep her on it? and do i use injectable or orally? She is also breathing funny. I thought about this last night, Nugget is in a coop with 4 BLRW pullets that are 3 months younger than her, they smell differently and have a strong odor, could she just be very sensitive to their odor? Thanks

2. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    anyone?

3. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The part about the strong odor does not sound good. Is the smell coming from the mouth? Get up close and smell the breath of them and let me know what it smells like.

4. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    ok i'll smell their breath. But it's just like a poop or chicken odor, it's just different than my laying hens odor.
    dawg53, thanks for replying to all my post, i'm just really nervous b/c she's my fav chicken. Thanks

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    That is good. There is a nasty infection called coryza (spelling?)that has a bad odor, very distinguishable and while it is curable it is also transmitted. A person I did some work for a few years ago spent about 25,000.00 to get in the chicken business and got coryza in her flock and she had to cull all the birds and start over.
    Quote:

6. littlecreekfarm

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:
    I smelled Nugget's breath. Smells like normal chicken breath. Need to smell my BLRW breath............if i can catch them they are free-ranging right now

7. Peep lePleaser

Peep lePleaser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    Sounds a lot like what 3 of my chickens have. Vet said it might be Mycoplasma. Does she have frothy little water bubbles in the corners of her eyes?
    My vet put them on tetracycline and they're been on it for 5 days with a little improvement but not over it. I read that once they have it, they always carry it and it can flare up with certain stressors, such as if I add new birds.

I've heard that Tylan or Baytril work best so I wonder why the bet gave me tetra to use? I think we're going to have to rethink his choice! 5 days on meds...I would think they should have been MUCH better if tetra was the right med for what they have.

If anyone has any advice or ideas please help!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Depending on the strain of mycoplasma, tetracycline might not be effective and will require a more potent antibiotic such as tylan or baytril. But the problem is that those antibiotics will eventually lose their effectiveness due to mycoplasma resistance building up against them....then you're back to square one. You can consider purchasing denagard which has no withdrawal and more importantly, no resistance. Denagard treats mycoplasma diseases only, not coryza. Birds will still be carriers. Denagard can be purchased from QC Supply. There's a one time treatment dose, then a monthly preventative dose. Here's a link:
    http://www.denagard.com/pig-poultry-public/en/index.shtml

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by