Tylan after Denagard-How Long In Between?

ddboersma

Songster
May 2, 2022
Hello! I have an 18 wk old hen that was puffed up and trying to sleep. Talked my vet into doing fecal test assuming it was Coccidiosis or worms, and it came back negative. I treated whole flock for Coccidiosis with Corid just in case, as recommended by others on here.
After last day of treatment hen started sneezing and showing labored breathing. I isolated her and did basic things (vitamins/electrolytes/probiotics/VetRx). Nothing improved. I checked her mouth and no odd growths. Her crop empties overnight. She started to act lethargic and less interested in eating, so I started Denagard treatment. Only because I have it on hand because I was told it would be good to have. No clue if it will help her situation.
In 2.5 days she has become more alert and interested in eating again, but she still sneezes and has deep, open mouth breaths (most of the time). Definitely not as bad as before, but not enough to give me hope that Denagard will do the trick. Treatment is supposed to be 5 days so we’ll see.
My question is, If I have to try Tylan next, how long in between treatments should I wait??
And if I get the Tylan Soluble powder, what is dosage for chickens?
PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Denagard treats symptoms of Mycoplasma only in chickens. If she's improving, then I would finish the treatment and see how it goes.

Tylan is normally used to treat symptoms of Mycoplasma or respiratory infection in chickens. It could be started after you finish the Denagard I suppose.

Tylan Soluble dosing should be on the package, so read the instructions and dosing info to be sure. Usually, it's 1tsp per gallon of water.

Denagard treats symptoms of Mycoplasma only in chickens. If she's improving, then I would finish the treatment and see how it goes.

Tylan is normally used to treat symptoms of Mycoplasma or respiratory infection in chickens. It could be started after you finish the Denagard I suppose.

Tylan Soluble dosing should be on the package, so read the instructions and dosing info to be sure. Usually, it's 1tsp per gallon of water.
Thank you! I’m not so sure it’s MG.
It’s sneezing and deep breathing with open mouth and sometimes a little nasal discharge since last Wed.

@Wyorp Rock this hen seems a little better today. Still sneezing but have not seen labored breathing yet today.
While cleaning the coop this morning I noticed another bird puffed in corner. I have seen her do this before, but she had isolated herself in the coop this time. Same age, almost 19weeks.
I prepared another cage in my garage, and planned to start with the usual vitamins/electrolytes. When I picked her up a bunch of clear fluid came out of her beak and I set her down because she was stretching her neck and it looked like she was trying to breath. Once she settled I picked her up again and put her in the cage in my garage where more clear fluid came out of her beak and she sneezed more. So far haven’t seen labored breathing except those two times the fluid came out. I ordered the Tylan soluble this morning…should I try Denagard to start again? I don’t know if this is something totally different, but the sneezing makes me think similar? Thank you for your time!

@Wyorp Rock this hen seems a little better today. Still sneezing but have not seen labored breathing yet today.
While cleaning the coop this morning I noticed another bird puffed in corner. I have seen her do this before, but she had isolated herself in the coop this time. Same age, almost 19weeks.
I prepared another cage in my garage, and planned to start with the usual vitamins/electrolytes. When I picked her up a bunch of clear fluid came out of her beak and I set her down because she was stretching her neck and it looked like she was trying to breath. Once she settled I picked her up again and put her in the cage in my garage where more clear fluid came out of her beak and she sneezed more. So far haven’t seen labored breathing except those two times the fluid came out. I ordered the Tylan soluble this morning…should I try Denagard to start again? I don’t know if this is something totally different, but the sneezing makes me think similar? Thank you for your time!
Isolating oneself, fluid coming from the beak when picked up. That's a crop issue.
A crop that is not emptying, a bird can gurgle, aspirate, have similar symptoms that seem like respiratory problems.
I'd address the crop according to the article.
You had worm issues earlier this year? May be time for another fecal float.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Isolating oneself, fluid coming from the beak when picked up. That's a crop issue.
A crop that is not emptying, a bird can gurgle, aspirate, have similar symptoms that seem like respiratory problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Yikes! Thank you! I have read this before and will read again….I just checked her and her crop is empty and keel bone feels prominent. Do you think it could still be impacted crop? I thought it would feel full or hard. She ate some food initially once put in isolation but she settled in and has been laying there since. Haven’t heard sneezing or seen any more liquid. She is very alert, but being pretty stoic, as she’s not a super social bird.

Also, I had a fecal test done on the bird that seems to be improving and it came back negative. This is about a week and half ago. This new bird has not had anything tested yet

@Wyorp Rock sorry I keep bothering you…just found this poop in her cage. This is the girl with the fluid coming out of mouth. My other girl who appears to be on mend still has normal looking stool.
I’m guessing I should be alarmed by this??

Attachments

• 193CD780-3C33-42F4-8F7D-5D8B2A1DB510.jpeg
    193CD780-3C33-42F4-8F7D-5D8B2A1DB510.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5A6BDC79-86C7-4508-BD2F-DF30300DD255.jpeg
    5A6BDC79-86C7-4508-BD2F-DF30300DD255.jpeg
    715.7 KB · Views: 10
I'd check her crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks.
Make sure she's got grit available free choice.

She may have a partial blockage.

I'd get another fecal float see if there's any changes. Work on hydration and see that your feed is fresh and not moldy.

Back
Top Bottom