Tylan- eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by packmomma, Mar 15, 2011.

1. packmomma

packmomma Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Ok I dont have any eggs from her yet but I have an injured chicken that was given Tylan injectable for 3 days. It says on other posts to wait for 30 days to eat the eggs. So I just want to be clear this is 30 days even if for the next couple weeks she doesnt produce any right? ! Sorry I seem so dense but this is my first injured chicken that I've had to deal with.

2. bgelber

bgelber Songster

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    I'm not sure but I think it's 30 days from the last injection. Someone with more knowledge will hopefully chime in.

3. dretd

dretd Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I hope your girl has recovered and is doing well. We get so attached to our feathered friends!

For all medications, the withdrawal period begins at the time of the last administration of the medication. As far as I know Tylosin is not labeled for use in hens for egg production. This means they probably did not do studies to find out how long after you stop using this medication for all residual drug traces to disappear from the eggs. The withdrawal for Tylosin for meat animals is really short, zero to one day depending on the dosage. I have not used the injectable so I can't comment on its specific use. When medications are used off-label it is customary to err on the side of caution, so 30 days should give ample time for the medication to leave the system. It is probably over-kill given the meat withdrawal times, but prudent none-the-less.

4. JayDee

JayDee In the Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    I don't know what the rules on the injectable are, but I have the powder here and the label has zero exclusion period for eggs. (UK & Ireland)

5. dretd

dretd Songster

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hey packmomma. I just looked in the Compendium for Elanco's Tylan products. The powder is labeled for broilers only and says 'Do not use in layers producing eggs for human consumption'. The injectable is labeled for cattle and swine only. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just means that its off label and they don't have withdrawal times for layers and they can't be held responsible for adverse reactions.

Since JayDee says the powder is labeled in Britain (many medications are ok there for both humans and animals that are not approved in the US) perhaps there is someone across the pond that has used the injectable that can tell you what the customary withdrawal is over there. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: