tylan for babies?

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
i have a 4 week chicken that is breathing hard and fluffed up. when i picked it up fluid came out of its beak. it is eating but its craw didnt seem very full to me. i have tylan but its so little ! i gave injections to my larger birds about a month ago. these babies have not been around the others and i always take care of the babies first. also the symptoms are not the same. can anyone advise please?

Is there any sneezing or coughing? It sounds like it might not be a respiratory diseases. Coccidiosis is a disease that often affects birds of this age. It causes ruffled feathers, lethargy, lack of appetite, sleepiness, droopiness, and sometimes blooody droppings. Since your chick is breathing hard and ruffled, it could be Coccidiosis. The treatment for Coccidiosis is Corid, either the liquid or powder.

However, if it is showing more respiratory symptoms, it would be a good idea to treat with either Tylan or another antibiotic. Tylan is pretty strong, so I'd give about .1ccs of it for a small, young bird.

thanks, what about the water that came out of its mouth when i picked it up? i didnt squeeze it.
Had it just finished drinking? Sometimes, if one of my chickens has just been drinking water or hasn't been eating much, a little water will trickle out of its beak when I pick it up.

The symptoms of coccidiosis are poor appetite, puffing up, ruffled feathers, acting lethargic or sleepy, and diarrhea (only sometimes with streaks of blood.) Do you think they really have that, or have gotten the respiratory problem? Corid (amprollium) will treat cocci at a dose of 2 teaspoonsful if liquid Corid (or 1 tsp powder Corid) per gallon of water for 5 days. It is in farm stores and is sold in the cattle meds section. Tylan 50 can be given to chicks for respiratory diseases 1/8 ml or cc by mouth if you are very careful not to choke them. Since they are splitting up that might be risky.

there is no diarrhea, only one chick acting this way out of 9 . i feed flock raiser. i did have some pine shavings in there, i took them out today. feathers everywhere except head still fluff. its like a struggle breath and it seemed like a lot of water that came back.maybe an = to a spit up in a baby. can i do both tylan and corrid? and im not sure how much to give could you possibly tell me in drops?

wait a min. i might have this, my moms insulin needles are 100 or 1cc, half is 50 half again 25 and half of that is what i should give? my math mind is terrible.lol

Back
Top Bottom