Tylan for enteritis????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JensChickies, Nov 13, 2014.

1. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    I need some advice......

I am currently treating my hen with metronidazole and tube feeding. I suspect she has some type of enteritis. She has been on metronidazole for 9 days with zero improvement. Will not eat and drink, not happy, formed but, mucusy poop. Not herself.

I have been reading and reading and reading trying to figure out what's going on with her. I read that Tylan can be used to treat enteritis. My question is......

Does anybody have any experience with using tylan to treat enteritis. She's not improving at all. I feel that there should be some improvement by now.

Please somebody help me, I can't figure this out.

2. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Anybody out there?? LOL

3. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014
    Or is neomycin??

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Neomycin will work. Here's a link regarding Ulcerative and Necrotic Enteritis. Scroll down to either of those diseases and read about them, including treatments:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

Thank you Dawg. My chickens are sick and I don't know why. This is my best guest. I have read and read and I don't know if it's ulcerative or necrotic enteritis. The best that I could find was that neomycin could treat both, but there was conflicting information there. I also found that lincomycin could treat it also, so I just wasn't sure.

6. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

Dawg...if you are familiar with it, do you know what dosage for neomycin. I have the liquid[​IMG]

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What exactly are the symptoms and why do you suspect enteritis? What are the ages of birds and how many are ill?

8. JensChickies

Mar 26, 2014

My langshan has been sick before. She had an impacted crop from being so dehydrated during one of these hot spells that we had and then that cleared but she wasn't quite right, not eating, not drinking, green poop. Treated her with batril and she became a new bird. Month later she started to loose her appetite again, active but not too active, stopped laying. Poop at this time was diarrhea with a couple of solid poop mixed in. Plus she had some blood and intestinal lining in her droppings, more so than normal. So my best guess is enteritis of some sort. She is 10 months old about. Checked her over for everything...mites, vent, stuck egg. Everything.

My Welsummer is also sick. Not eating/drinking, somewhat lethargic, but she still will walk around talks a little, she's always been my skinny one, so she might have had something brewing in her for a while. Stopped laying about a month ago and at the time checked her for everything also. Poop is formed, but mushy with some mucus in it. Started her on baytril with no response and metronidazole did absolutely nothing for her. So some type of enteritis with her too. She too a about 10 months old.

Both birds are being tube fed so at least I know their poop isn't a response from being malnourished. They free range, so they could have dug around in nasty water somewhere. It recently rained here so maybe they ingested something bad. Both birds are also wormed with Valbazen. And both birds have been treated for coccidiosis.

So to sum it up my langshan has been not herself for about a week now, and my welsummer is working on a a good month of this. They are both overachievers.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It is possible that coccidiosis may have caused some damage resulting in a secondary infection such as enteritis. Have you tried using Tylan? It is also possible for it to be another strain of cocci,birds are only immune to the strains that they have had prior exposure to or that the original outbreak of cocci was not brought under control for whatever reason.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by