Tylan not helping....health nose dived....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLchook, Oct 26, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    My buff hen was having some resp problems, after reading decided to try Tylan 50. It was clearing up, and she was starting to eat/drink again, but was still lathargic. She was the same this morning before I left for work. I just got home, and shes back to where she was a couple days...... What can I try now??

2. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Face looks alittle swollen too.

3. PonyRyder

PonyRyder New Egg

Oct 26, 2011
    Having this problem too.... VetRX up the nose down the throat under the wings. Been doing it for 5 days now. Do it quick!

4. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    thanks, ill try that too.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Smell around the head/nostril area for a foul odor, if there is, mostly likely it's coryza. Otherwise it could possibly be mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Here's a link, scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG.)
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

6. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    No smells..... could it still be Coryza?

can I mix Tylon & tetracycline???

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It could possibly be MG. To be sure, you would need bloodwork drawn and sent off to be sure. You might want to consult with a vet where and how to go about doing this. If you read the link about MG, it's a CRD. It's contageous and birds are carriers for life. It's passed through eggs as well. You would have to keep a closed flock, no selling or giving away eggs for hatching purposes. No giving away/selling birds nor bringing new birds in.
    Do not mix antibiotics together, it can be a lethal combination. If it is MG, you can treat with denagard. Denagard is specifically for treating mycoplasma diseases. There is no resistance nor withdrawal. Birds still remain carriers, you would have to give them a monthly preventative dose. Denagard isnt cheap, this is why I recommended bloodwork to verify it's MG before you purchase denagard. You can type "denagard" in the BYC search box and read about it if you wish.

8. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    No more chickens....ever????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:No, I didnt say that! I stated that if you introduce new birds to your contaminated/sick bird(s), the new birds will get sick as well. You need to get bloodwork done to check and see IF IT IS MG!

10. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

Ohh soo sorry to hear your baby is sick. Dawg is right you really need to get a bloodtest asap! Call your local State of FL Dept of Ag department. Ask for the State Vet and if they are not available ask who is the tester of livestock and poultry for your area? If they can get you intouch with either or they can get your bird a bloodtest. Every state is different as to whether or not they charge. Here in CT they come to the house and it is $1.00 per birds. The state of MA it is free due to a grant they rec'vd. So inother words one never knows. But, I strongly suggest you test b/c what you are describing does sound like CRD and the reason I say this is b/c if you treat with Tylan the only thing Tylan does for CRD MG is offset side effects of the disease. If other things crop up as effects from the CRD your bird will dip up and down with symptoms and like he said will be a carrier for life [​IMG]

Please really consider calling around to see how to get the test to protect not only your flock but flocks in your area

Best wishes,
    Beth [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by