Tylan50 for a Roo - Is there Egg Withdrawal?

Melschen

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2016
Hi! I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but it's our first time dealing with something like this. We have a Roo with an eye issue. The only thing left for us to try is an antibiotic, so we're going to give him a round of Tylan50. I know there's a withdrawal period for the eggs from the hens, but wasn't sure how to deal with this when dosing our only roo. I've searched all around and can't find a solid answer anywhere. I thought perhaps someone here would have some good advice for me. I hate to throw eggs away unnecessarily, but also don't want to feed "bad" eggs to my family and friends.

Thanks!!

Since he's not laying eggs, I don't see why you'd have to discard eggs. I don't think the antibiotic would end up in his sperm and even if it did, only a teeny tiny amount would be in an egg.

Also, if it's just an eye problem, have you considered trying an antibiotic eye ointment like terramycin before jumping straight to a full system antibiotic? And as was said in the other thread, if he has developed pus in the eye, it's going to need to be removed. Pus solidifies in birds, unlike in mammals. It will have formed a lump that needs to be taken out. Probably best to get a vet to do that.

Last edited:
Thank you. There are no avian vets anywhere in our area, so we have to take care of things as best we can on our own. I did try an eye ointment as well as vetrx prior to this. I hate to cull him unless it becomes an absolute necessity.

Back
Top Bottom