1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Do you have to give the shot in the breast? if so what is the reason?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's usually where most of the meat is so the needle won't pass through. Same reason human shots are often in the buttocks.
    If giving on multiple days, alternate breasts because they'll be sore.
    You can also give the shot subcutaneously. Pull the skin away at the top of the back and put it under there.

Intramuscular is faster acting.
    Subcutaneous will stay in the system longer.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    so I can give it to her on her back?? its just really hard to do it in the breast. my husband thinks he may have hit her bone last night.

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    wouldn't it be better to have it stay in the system longer? its already in her system. she will be on her 4th shot today.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    IMHO it depends on what the shot is for. If it is a bacterial infection, I would do intramuscular so it acts faster. If it is preventative, say in the case of an animal bite, I would do subcutaneous.
    If you're giving daily, it will be staying in the system.
    How old is the bird and is it bantam or LF?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would only put the needle in about 1/2 inch. You can buy needles that are 5/8 inch or 1 inch long. Into the breast muscle is best for absorbtion of the medicaton. Tylan was meant by the manufacturer to be given into muscle.

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    she is around 3 and she is a wynodotte and its for a possible air sacculitis. I want to do the best and also the easiest on her way.

8. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok thank you. just seeing if there was an easier way on my hen. she wiggles around and makes it so hard. my husband thought he hit a bone last night. I am afraid he is going to hit her crop. its just very verve racking [​IMG]

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If she's been fed it should be easy to miss the crop. It's on the right side of her neck attached to the top of the breast. Just stay below that area when on the right breast.
    As eggcessive said, just don't go in that far. Make sure you clean the skin with alcohol and if you pull the feathers aside you'll be able to tell how far you are inserting.

10. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok, the other night which would have been day 4 for the tylan 50 for Ethel. My husband thought he hit a bone so we stopped and gave it to her the next day. is that ok? or did I mess it up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by