Tylon 50

Weasle 25

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
I'm going to start giving my flock of 50 this vaccines. They all sound to have a cold and like I said i have lost 4 so far to swollen eyes,running nose, and can"t walk real good. I was wondering if i can use the injection out of the bottle that is for cattle/swine?
Where is the best place to inject the shot. I know that you use 1/2cc on layers and 1/4cc on bantams. Now how long after can I start eating my eggs?
I will be getting new chicks in the spring and want to nock this out of the flock as soon as possible. The chicks will be in a total different building but I still don't want to transfer it to them. So I thank any one that can help me out. The Terrimycin isn't working at all. So just everybody put in what you think.
THANKS

This is not a vaccine, this is a drug (antibiotic). It would be better to ID what you have killing your flock than start throwing more drugs at them. Cull and send the most ill bird to the state lab, or have a local vet do it for you. The cost is generally the cost of postage. Calling your state vet (your regular vet can give you the number), or a local poultry extension agent to come out and help you get a bird in.
It is better to find out now if this is a bacteria (which antibiotics might help with) or a virus (which antibiotics are useless for). Also if you have a viral problem- most stick around for a LONG time, and as you are concerned for the next birds you bring in- you want to know what you have on site- so you can perhaps vaccinate to prevent them from getting sick in the first place.
The more information you have the better, all you know right now is you have one or more of a respiratory disease that is bad enough that birds are dying, and that it did not respond to tetracycline (which means it is probably not mycoplasma/CRD).
I know this is not the answer you want, as you want to know how much to give and where to give it- but you really should find out what you are dealing with, which you can't do online.

100% agree with mypicklebird.
You need to find out what's going especially if the first drug treatment didn't work.
hugs.gif

You could have any number of things, but probably a Mycoplasma of some kind. I had something similar last year, lost a bunch of birds and my state vet does blood draws and tests for certain things so culling was not necessary. Terramycin is a waste of money, its more prevenative and not something I would use to treat if you already have a case of something.

The state vet in my case (Who is on the team who goes to Indonesia to study the Avian Flu epidemic) told me to give them Tylan soluble in their water.

You could give the Tylan injectable, or LA 50 or LA 200 for that matter. Its up to you When I had a bird about dead from whatever I had last year, she lived but I gave her LA200 injected into the breast muscle 1/2cc. Bantam she is and I knocked it out of her. This is just what I did, for my case, but I did have the state vets over to check out the situation and they told me what they recommended.
Be aware though that none of these INJECTABLES are really FOR poultry, you are using them off label, so withdrawal times are unknown. The Tylan Soluble does have instructions on the jar for birds, 24hr withdrawal for meat and it says do not use in layers meant for egg consumption. A good rule of thumb is at least two weeks before you start using eggs again.

My vet recommend Tylan soulable for my hens. If worked excect for the loss of 2, which I sent to the state lab. They had pneumonia, just couldn't get the antibotic in time, had to order it from a farm catalog.

Can you check the bird's breast muscle and drumstick muscle? Is the bird really, really thin with no muscle tone?

The chickens that died had no weight on them. I gave them Tylan 50 today an plan to give it to them tommarow. I stated that my flock of 50 had this but that was a wrong statement the whole flock doesn't have it just a few so I don't think it is a huge deal. Its one of those things that just makes you mad. Is it recommanded to give them 1/2cc big chicken and 1/4cc bantam, for two days strait?

going through this now. Did all your chickens get better...how about now any symptoms?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom