Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MattalynsBarn, Jun 24, 2010.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm always on the look out for fellow diabetics in every crowd. It's always nice to band together and complain, support someone who has just been Dxed, share your silliest and scariest moments, in other words, help someone feel a little less alone.

So tell us your story, be kind and understanding. No judging either please, everyone copes differently.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've been a juvenile diabetic for about 16/17 years now. It's always a bumpy ride, but so far I'm surviving! I'm currently on the insulin pump and I love it. It soooo beats taking so many shots every day! I should seriously be a spokesperson for the pump companies because I've persuaded a few people to change over and they love it as much as I do.

Lately my biggest pet peeve are people who confuse type one with type two. I've come across people who act like it's my fault for having diabetes and I could just lose weight or eat properly and it will go away. I've always struggled with my weight over the years and I know it's from all the insulin I have to take. It's definitely awkward explaining to people the difference between type one and type two! There's one guy at work (He's a real sweetheart) but he keeps telling me that if I eat right I can get off the insulin because his mother did. He just doesn't *get* it I guess! LOL Some people don't realize type one diabetes is for life! (Unless there's a cure somewhere in the near future, which actually looks hopeful!)

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:*Thread hijack* What is the pump? Is it a like an i.v. line in you at all times and when you need the meds it dispences them for you? Just wondering...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
  5. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:Hi Chickerdoodle13! I've been diabetic since I was 11, so 5 years. I'm a pumper too! Have been for about 4 years. I was on the Cozmo but they went out of business and now I'm on the Animas One Touch Ping. I LOVE it!! What pump do you use?

Ugh I know!!! And the "Oh! My Grandma has that" And the "How did you get it?" Followed by "How long will you have it?" Then the disbelief on their faces. Although I have found that if someone is bullying you and you tell them they sober up fast. My currant pet peeve is the "does that hurt?" Yes it hurts!! I'm sticking a needle in my HAND!

So do you have trouble with lows or highs?

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:*Thread hijack* What is the pump? Is it a like an i.v. line in you at all times and when you need the meds it dispences them for you? Just wondering...

Yep Redhen, that's pretty much exactly what it is. It continually dispenses insulin to mimic a real pancreas. Previously, diabetics have had to deal with two types of insulin: a long acting and a short acting. The long acting insulin would stabalize blood sugar over a long period of time and the short acting would be given right before carbs are eaten. The worst was the insulin regimen I took before that one! There were two types of insulin I had to take, but I had to eat at the same time, every single day. I also had to eat the same amount of carbs at each meal. That was difficult for both myself AND my mom, because I was young at the time I was on that regimen.

Mattalyn,

I'm on the minimed pump from medtronic. I remember looking at the one you are on when I was deciding though, and I really had a hard time! There are a lot of good models out there. I ended up getting a purple pump though and it made me very happy! That is my favorite color.

I still have troubles with highs and lows, but not nearly as bad as before I went on the pump. I know my basal and boluses need some adjusting, so I am waiting to do the continuous glucose monitor in august so my doctor can adjust my numbers. It's amazing how much my body changes in just a year!

I actually don't mind talking about diabetes at all. I'm known for talkign people's ears off! I just hate the people that think they know everything about diabetes and feel the need to give you incorrect advice! I've also had my fair share of bad doctors. I FINALLY found a great doctor and she is the one who put me on the pump. She always makes me feel good when I see her, instead of telling me everything I do wrong like my old doctor.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks for sharing the info with me! [​IMG]

8. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I don't have diabetes, but my husband has type 1. He was Dxed at age 29 after serving in the military for 8 years!!

He is also on the pump, and he loves it too! They are wonderful!

Before he had the pump, he was giving himself 5-6 shots a day and that isn't counting checking his sugar levels.

It's been 6 yrs since he was diagnosed and his A1C is doing pretty good. He is at an 8 or 9. It still needs a little work, but it's pretty good.

There are still problems with highs and lows, but nothing like they used to be.

9. MattalynsBarn

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    My A1C is 8.something. I like the clinic I go to (Yale Diabetes Clinic in New Haven CT), but I'm a kid so they really just tell me what to do. I think I'll like them more when I'm an adult and they respect me. However I love my doctor Stu Weinzimer. He's so funny and nice. I've heard of a lot of people not liking their doc, so I feel very lucky.

I was wondering, gettinaclue, what us the scariest thing about living with someone who has t1? And the coolest? It's nice to hear what the other side of the fence has to say

10. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    I am not a type one diabetic myself but am the daughter and mother of type 1 diabetics. I have never known life without diabetes in it. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 29, before I was born and it took my son, (now 12) being diagnosed and going on an insulin pump, for my dad to take the plunge and get a pump too! My son was diagnosed when he was 7, and we started him on the pump six months after he was diagnosed because he is just so tiny and I really wanted him to be able to eat when he wanted but on shots that isn't so easy. The pump is a lifesaver, (literally) for us and has helped make his life so much more normal than it was when he was on shots. I remember growing up with my dad, he would have a shot and then it was always a race to eat before he went low... at restaurants this wasn't always easy. My son has had one very severe low, (ironically it was only a few weeks ago) and he went into seizures and I had to give him a glucagon shot. Besides that I would say that we still see more high numbers than lows and always for a dumb reason like forgetting to bolus or a bad site. Life is different with diabetes in it, but challenge is fun... right? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by