Type of mulch to use around natural areas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huntingpharmaci, Nov 11, 2014.

1. huntingpharmaci

huntingpharmaci New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    First of all I want to say that this forum and organization has been instrumental in getting started in urban chickens. I used this website to build my coop and start a flock last year. The resources here are amazing. Thank you.

Now to my dilemma. I enjoy landscaping as much as I do my chickens, but the chickens are starting to scratch around my natural areas kicking dirt into the yard. I wouldn't mind if it was a little, but I let chickens out everyday and they are taking over. I could always cut back their outdoor time, but don't want to do that. Can anyone recommend a mulch that would be hard for the chickens to kick around? Or any other solution that doesn't involve fences. The picture shows some mulch in the yard. But it has gotten worse. The nest and find worms in it.[​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I think they will scratch at any organic mulch…and probably prefer any that is freshly placed.

Looks like the photo is a bath area. Why not pick a spot to let them have? Make it irresistible with bathing spot and pile of leaves and maybe they'll leave the other areas alone?

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I mulch the planting beds and trees; the chickens rearrange everything! I add more mulch, so more rearranging; it goes on and on. The yard gets lots of good organic matter, and eventually the trees do have a layer of mulch. Mary

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I still think, give the chickens a pile….smooth flat the other areas…and bet ya they'll go for the piles! [​IMG]

5. huntingpharmaci

huntingpharmaci New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    Thanks for the input. I have numerous piles for them. 2 compost piles which looks like tornado zones, a side garden area which is loaded with bathing areas. Anywhere I have mulch they mess it up. I guess I am going to have to accept it and constantly clean them up.

6. candr01

candr01 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    My Coop
    Honestly, the chickens are gonna do what they're gonna do, and that is scratch. There is nothing for it but to fence off either the chickens (like, in a tractor, or with a mobile fence system) or the garden to keep them apart.

Good luck! Cute kids, btw :)

7. AkChris

AkChris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    SE Alaska
    I haven't tried it myself but I've heard that those motion activated sprinklers meant to scare pests out of the garden work to keep chickens out of certain areas too.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Good idea in warmer weather?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by