Type of paint for outside hutch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 2-dimples, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 2-dimples

2-dimples Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Woodinville, WA
    My husband is in the final stages of building our chicken hutch and is ready to paint the outside of the hutch. It is made of marine grade plywood. The hutch will be outdoors in a fenced in chicken run. Any ideas what kind of paint we should get to use? Is a water based exterior house paint suitable ya think?
    Christine

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I would think so. It works well on our garage and house, and I am planning on using the leftovers on our new coop, which at this point is just an 8' x 12' trench.

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

That is what I painted mine with. I painted the inside with the same paint to make it easier to wash out. So far it stands up really well and looks great. Better then my house which I do not think has been painted since the 70's (just bought it).

That is my next project! LOL

4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    As soon as the weather clears here that's what we are using.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I used exterior grade latex paint on primer and have also used exterior grade stain.... makes the house we live in look like it's falling apart... oh wait.. it is.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I use whatever they have on the $5 table at Lowe's!! My main coop is pumpkin orange with dark maroon trim. The playhouse coop is bright banana yellow with light lavender trim. The "picket" fence I'm putting around my veggie garden is hot pink and bright blue/green. The fence is made from large pallets that have been cut in half.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    make sure to prime first (use exterior primer not interior).

Pat

8. 2-dimples

2-dimples Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Woodinville, WA
    Thanks so much guys! You are all so helpful! Seems like my chicken hutch is getting down graded more and more ha ha.....first it was going to be classy siding that we would have to stain and cedar shingles on the roof. (This was my husband's idea not mine [​IMG] ) Then he switched to asphalt shingles and no siding. Now he doesn't want to put the decorative framing around the chicken door or egg door. I'm fine with simple as I was to begin with...... I think he may be getting tired of this project hee hee.. I'm staying far away from the garage where he's building it...[​IMG]

9. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Coyotemagic going to your house must be like going to Disney World [​IMG] jk.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:And don't let the hardware place try to sell you the interior/exterior primer... it says only to use it as exterior touch up... Spend the money for the actual exterior stuff so the paint lasts longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by