1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Type of Roosts

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by kuntrygirl, Jan 12, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I found the following information online about roosts. What type of roosts do you all have for your peafowl?

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/14/

"A flat roost such as a 2"X 4" board should be used rather than a round roost. If a round roost is used, there is a chance that the birds' toes will suffer frostbite in extremely cold weather because the toes are exposed while gripping the roost. A flat roost allows the bird to sit on its feet without having to grip the roost which prevents frostbite from occurring."

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Yes thats correct, but in your location wouldn't think you need to worry about it...unless you have the greens

3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Thank you for your response deerman. I feel more comfortable knowing that. Glad that you're back deerman. [​IMG]

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    most of the peafowl which lose toes from frostbite ,are northern birds that free range, roosting on round roost.

5. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    oh ok. Here is Southern Louisiana, it does get as cold as it gets in your neck of the woods. I guess I'm just paranoid.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use trees from around my place, when they get old i toss um and cut some more, willow trees are the peas favorites, i made them a hudge perch out of two i cut down
    this is an oak tree about 1 foot around i use these inside the pen where they sleep.
    [​IMG]
    This is their outside perch where they like to hang out
    [​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I used to use 2x4 on end until I read that about frostbite. Then I put a 2x4 flat on top, it doesn't get that cold here but they do roost down flat and cover the toes.

Steve

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    We're using 2x4s. I dont' dare risk anything happening to my beautiful birds! it might not get cold and stay cold, but we do get a few bouts of cold weather on occasion. Right now we are in the middle of several days of lows in the 20s & highs in the 40s. Very unusual to get 4-5 days of freezing temps in a row-- but it does happen.

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Very nice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by