Type of Tarp to Use

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JoieD, Oct 27, 2011.

1. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    I know some of you use a tarp to cover your run to keep it dryer. What kind do you use? Poly ? Canvas? heavy-duty, super heavy duty? There seems to be numbers associated with tarps too. 10, 15, 16? Do you have a particular brand that has worked well for you through a winter? Who would have thought buying a tarp would be so complicated.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I just buy the cheap plastic tarps and use them. Usually last one or two winters.

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Tarps at walmart, heavy duty poly I believe. We have them on top and sides. My girl can stay out of the wind this way

4. thaokou21

thaokou21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Arkansas
    Poly ? Canvas? heavy-duty, super heavy duty.

I used them all and it usually last just one winter no matter how strong they are.

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:Yep.

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I buy the heavy duty poly ones from TSC, and I'm lucky if they last a whole winter on the top. They seem to do better on the sides, but the wind, rain and occasional snow just beat up the top one. I shudder to think what the medium weight would be like. We just bought those to cover the firewood racks and they seem awfully flimsy.

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    heavy duty tarp from home depot. i spent about 40.00 dollars on two. they have lasted 3 years. [​IMG]

8. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    I wrap with clear pvc tarp. Ordered it on line but can't remember from who. Just google 'clear pvc tarp'.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I use 12-Oz. Cotton Duck Canvas Tarp like the Canvas Tarp used to cover loads on flat bed trailers. I will let you know that there not cheep, your looking at around $200.00 for a 16ft. x 24ft but they will last.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by