Types of DE-Please Advise

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Junkybird, May 5, 2009.

1. Junkybird

Junkybird Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    Okay, now I'm pretty scared that I am not putting this in the right section [​IMG]

I bought some DE at my feed store and now I don't know if it is the right kind. I told the man that I wanted DE and he went and got it from a shelf. I don't know if there are other kinds/brand that they carry. What I bought is:

Natural Guard "Gardening Nature's Way" Crawling Insect Control
    containing Diatomaceous Earth

Active ingredients: silicon dioxide from DE 85%, other elemental oxides 10%, inert ingredients 5%

After reading other posts on this topic, now I think I have bought the wrong kind. It has all these warnings on it and it doesn't say anything about being "food grade." Can someone please tell me if I should use this or not? Is this the bad kind?

2. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    It should say "feed grade" on the bag. If not call your supplier and ask.
    There is another grade that should never be used for your flock. It's usually used for pool filters.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Make certain it says Food Grade on the container.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You bought the wrong kind. You want food grade and it should say so right on the label.

5. Junkybird

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    This bag doesn't say food grade anywhere on it. It does say that it is made from Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth fresh water type. Yada, yada, yada. What confuses me is that it doesn't say anything on it about being for pools. It is all about insects, fleas, carpet beetles, bedbugs, etc.

I will go back and ask for another type. Hopefully they can order it?

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    The containers I have post a sticker on the bucket that reads plainly Food Grade.

7. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I bought mine off eBay. I was unable to find it in my area. I drink the stuff and also use it on my face. [​IMG]

8. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    ...don't mean to hijack this thread, but since we're talking about it: The DE I get from the local garden supply store says "FEED GRADE" on it, and has a leaflet inside, describing how to use it internally for dogs and cats.
    Is feed-grade as safe as food-grade? And why the distinction? Any ideas?

9. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Quote:Likely that food-feed grade is the same grade of de, but dependent on state packaging laws.
    Our supplier here in Texas labels them "feed grade" and is safe for animals to ingest.
    To the op, you should tell your supplier the de grade you want. Your supplier should know the difference as to your stated purpose of use.

10. Junkybird

May 3, 2009
    Dacusville, SC
    I found it! I went yesterday and returned the bag that I had bought. They had an 18# bag called Earth Organics. I think that it what it was. Funny thing is, that it is manufactured by Carl's Pools or something like that. But it has a sticker on the front that plainly says FEED GRADE. Feed grade vs. pool product manufacturer? Too weird. I thought they were supposed to be different kinds. Maybe the pool people are making the feed grade as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by