Types of Sand for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OhioClucker, Aug 4, 2013.

1. OhioClucker

OhioClucker Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Looking to change my coop bedding from pine shavings to sand. What type(s) of sand is the best or doesn't it matter?
    Thanks!

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    The best is free. Cheap comes next.

3. OhioClucker

OhioClucker Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2013
    Couldn't agree more. How much do you put in at one time and how fast do you go through it?

4. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Free is always best. But in my situation I can't get free. I bought playsand $3.43 for 50 pound bag mixed and alpurpose sand for few cents more, 60 pound bag. I lauded 5bags all together in my 4x8 run. Covered it nicely. They love it. Also mixed in sweet PDZ and some DE, no odor! I scoop like kitty litter regularly. I should not have to change it for a year. It hasn't been a year but that's the idea. It drains off when wet and dries back to sand. My sitation, the coop is on concrete and the sand is 3 inches thick.

5. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    Is it ok to use black dirt, or is that not recommended? I bought 6 cubic yards for my garden, but I have enough leftover.

6. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    It won't drain as well or be as easy to clean. I bought Coarse River Sand here in Sydney and it cost around $200 (roughly the same in US$) to put about 4 inches in my run which is 12 feet x 6 feet. It drains really really well and is quick and easy to clean with a kitty litter scooper. Avoid beach sand as it may be too salty (and they will eat it as grit). I have only had to top it up with one bag (20kg) after a year of use. I really recommend it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by