types of sand

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RachG75, Nov 10, 2016.

1. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    I am ordering 4 yards of sand for our new duck yard and my options are Buckshot, Wash FA1, or Filter sand. Any advice? Want it to be safe and gentle for duck feet!

Also, our plan is to run perforated drainage tile around the edges of the 15x20 enclosure. My husband is digging down and sloping the area toward tiles and out the back which is near edge of ravine. We are going to put 6 inches of sand on top. The top couple inches will probably be above ground level. How does this sound? We have definitely never done anything like this before! Should we put down any pea gravel first or just the sand? Our soil has clay, but isn't pure clay.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

We use washed sand.....Mine is called washed........Sorry that is all I know......

Cheers!

3. RachG75

RachG75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Central Illinois
    Thanks CR!
    Anybody else have advice?

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Sorry, mine was called washed river sand.

It wouldn't surprise me if the place you are getting it from could tell you which would be most appropriate for your application though. And I'm sure there will be more input, I know lot's of people use it.

Good luck!

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My Husband informed me it is washed sand. Less dust....I think any washed sand will be fine.

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by