1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Typhoid Fever causes fruit recall

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rozzie, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Check your freezers! If you have this stuff, throw it out. You do NOT want typhoid fever!

Frozen Goya mamey fruit -- also called Zapota / sapota -- recalled due to risk of typhoid fever infection due to contamination.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,599384,00.html

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/fs/food-disease/news/aug1310typhoid.html

"In its recall announcement, Goya Foods said the mamey fruit pulp comes in 14-ounce plastic packages that are not marked with a lot number or expiration date. The UPC number is 041331090803. The product is distributed in retail stores in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Washington. "

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Uf dah! Another good reason to not buy processed foods.

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    I'm vaccinated against typhoid fever!

Now THERE'S some peace of mind!

Oh hamburgers! I just looked it up and my typhoid vaccine was more than five years ago! Oh hamburgers!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never even heard of that type of fruit...

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Welsummers...I'm ahead of you there. It's only been 2 years since my typhoid vaccine. I've got a while to go yet.

Of course, it's important to remember that even if you HAVE had a typhoid fever vaccine that it's not 100% effective & you need a booster every five years.

(For those unfamiliar with this vaccine, it's not recommended for US residents unless you'll be traveling to areas where the illness is common. It's one I'll keep up to date so I can travel on the fly if I want to. Insurance typically will NOT pay for this one, either.)

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Songster

Jul 26, 2010
    It doesn't cost much. I got the oral one, too, and that lasts 5 yrs. I think the shot is only 2 years.

Yep, one still can get it, conceivably, but it's a good insurance policy.

As for cost the county health department usually has those shots for quite a bit less money than a doctor or clinic.

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    Aw crud. So much for the lovely travel clinic I went to. I just checked the CDC website & you are right. The injection is only good for two years; the live dose (oral) is good for five years. Time to get my booster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: