Typical Broody-Raised Chick Mority Rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OldCrookedToe, Oct 2, 2016.

1. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Our Orpington is broody and sitting on 6 eggs - 3 of her own and 3 Marans. We have one rooster over two hens as it is so fertility is almost certain, at least for the Marans since she's more willing lol. If we let them hatch the hen will raise them on her own.

Out of 6 eggs is it likely all 6 will survive into adulthood?

ETA: forgive the title misspelling lol. I typed this up on mobile and it wanted to use Mority instead of Mortality. Oops!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd say that there are too many variables to say with any degree of confidence. I've only ever lost chicks to hawks when a broody has raised chicks (and thats when they were 3 months old and no longer under her supervision). Broody hens know more than we humans could ever do about what a chick needs, so I'd say your chances are at least equally as good, if not better than using an incubator.

1 person likes this.
  3. OldCrookedToe

OldCrookedToe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    Florence/Effingham, SC
    Thanks! I've only ever raised chicks by hand so it'd be nice for Mother Nature to do it this time. That is implying the hen stays broody and doesn't break from immaturity.

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    My experience is the same as @CTKen. Out little OEGB has sat on and hatched out several broods over the last 3 years. Probably close to 20 chicks in that time. The only ones that didn't survive to adulthood after successfully hatching were taken by predators. Now, all the eggs did not hatch. A couple never fully developed in the egg. Maybe 4-5 of the chicks were actually hers. We always place extra eggs from the others hens under her when she goes broody.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by