1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Typical Roo behavior...facing off...and pecking the new guy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by collmichelle, Jul 26, 2014.

1. collmichelle

collmichelle In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    Hi All...We are new to chickens and have 8 mix of girls and boys 8 weeks and under. I know for sure one is a roo there are 2 others I think may be. Is it normal for all genders to do a "face off" type thing where they jump in front of each other..stare at each other in the eye while bobbing up and down? Is that solely a roo thing exerting his dominance? It seems the ones I'm sure are pullets don't ever do this with each other. It seems like the pullets also don't pick on each new one we bring in to the group as much as the suspected roo's. They usually are everyone's friend. Thanks.

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My pullets do the face off thing.

3. collmichelle

collmichelle In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    Oh great that's good to know...I as hoping one in particular wasn't a roo...so she still has a chance. Although he/she does jump on the smaller ones back and pecks at her. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: