1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tyrannosaurus Chix?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pele, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    So, I have been enjoying my wonderful flock of 4 Golden Comets and 1 EE for the past few weeks by sitting outside in the evening with a good book and a glass of wine. (heaven huh?)

Recently, I've noticed very territorial behavior, especially out of my EE, towards sparrows. Because of BYC, I have learned that this isn't unusual. However it is the DEGREE of aggression they show sparrows that is freaking me out recently.

In the past 3 weeks, I've noticed 3 dead birds in the yard (this has never happened before and I've lived in my home for years). Two were sparrows, and one robin. One of the sparrows was carefully stipped of anything edible, but it's skeleton and feathers were completely intact (so not a cat or dog kill).

On Saturday, while I was sitting outside and enjoying my chickens, I actually saw them mob a sparrow fledgeling that had the misfortune of trying to learn to fly in my yard. They clearly had murderous intent, but I was able to save the thing and put it in a box until it recovered enough from being pecked on it's little head.

My quesiton is: does this sound like normal chicken behavior to you, or do you think I have unusually dinosaur-like chickens?

2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Wow, I have never heard of that before. My chickens are so docile. My rooster doesn't like birds, but he just makes noises and makes them go away.

3. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    My chickens do chase the sparrows and robins out of the run/yard. However, I have not seem them catch one and their chasing behavior appears to be more of the strutting, bullying kind rather than predatory. [​IMG] I actually kind of enjoy watching this because we have a sparrow who returns over and over for feathers and must have the most comfortable nest in the county. [​IMG] It sits on top of the fence and taunts them, but will also land and feed on the ground within a few feet of the chickens. Interesting!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:That's what is so weird to me. My flock is super docile normally. I've never even so much as gotten an aggressive peck on the hand. Freaky chickens!

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I've found bird skeletons in my chicken areas. I have never seen my chickens kill the small birds but I have seen them chasing them.

6. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I wish we could breed a chicken that would go after a coon and kill it![​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My hens killed a dove a few months ago, ripped the poor thing's head off, then tried to eat it. Thankfully they only did it once. Most of the time they ignore the birds.

8. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    some of my chickens will sometimes chase and kill something that moves...mice, voles, sparrows, leaves...piece of paper will get pounced on too if it blows through the yard. while others will just sit back and wait for their pellets to be dished out like good chickens. i originally blamed the cats for leaving feather piles and bones around until i saw the chickens playing tug of war with a young blackbird [​IMG].

my cats no longer dare to walk through the farm when the chickens are out...!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My chickens very agressively go after sparrows. I expect them catch one eventually. They seem to really have it out for them. Different little birds can come up and eat their food with them, but not those sparrows.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Mine associate the wild birds with free seeds at the feeders. When they see a cardinal or other wild bird feeding they race under the feeders for scattered seeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by