Tyvek on coop walls

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rosemarythyme, Apr 4, 2018.

1. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    So my new coop/shed got installed today, and when I got home I saw that the interior of the walls were covered with Tyvek. I wasn't counting on that! Anyone have any experience with Tyvek inside a coop? Will the chickens leave it alone or is it better to go through and cut out the lower few feet of it? Also I was planning on sealing the floor with a rubberized coating like Black Jack 57 and I'm not sure if that will stick to Tyvek.

2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    You can possibly do an interior walling to cover the tyvek, I did that on my coop/shed, it kept the coop cool in the summer and warmer in the winter. But make sure lots of ventilations up on the roof line.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  3. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    I have no clue, but have used tyvek under a tent in difficult terrain to help keep the tent from being ripped. It worked well for that.
    I want to see a pic of your new coop! :fl:highfive:

Quik1th likes this.
  4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Here’s what I did to cover the insulations.

5AC13010-96A5-432D-8CB4-0443C48C41FF.jpeg
    4232F64B-9F59-44C3-93CC-A60C8D2E9680.jpeg

5. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd be surprised, if Black Jack stuck to tyvec. IMO, it would be pointless anyway. Do you have any pics of the interior with the tyvec? I did my floor and about 1 foot up the walls with Black Jack, it's great stuff. Turn the bucket upside down a day or two before you are going to use it, it will mix a lot easier. I used a piece of 2 x 3 to mix my 5 gallon bucket.

aart likes this.
  6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    That's also a possibility but I have no idea what I'm doing. Plywood would probably be the best bet if I go that route. As far as ventilation it has 10' of roof vents both front and back, a gable vent, 2 floor vents, and 5 windows.

I was planning to do the floor and then up the wall a foot or two.

I'll have to get photos tomorrow when there's light!

7. gator75

gator75 Songster

Aug 25, 2012
    Tyvek is an exterior vapor barrier. I'd remove it from inside the coop. It provides no insulation and could trap moisture.

blackdog043, aart and Soon2BChixMom like this.
  8. Rachel Taylor

Rachel Taylor Crowing

Aug 17, 2017
    Virginia
    That’s what I thought. I’ve always known Tyvek to be in exterior moisture wrap. I thought it was odd when you said it was on the interior. Never heard of it being used on the interior

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    X3

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I guess my misunderstanding came from seeing the sample coops, which were all finished out in the interior, so I didn't realize they would put the Tyvek on the interior like that.

Well at least it's easy enough to cut it out with an exacto knife. Or I might just cut the lower half of it out.

I was going to do a coop write up for the Coops article section once everything was done because as you can see it doesn't even have a roof yet (or roosts, or nest box, or a ramp). But since some folks asked for photos...

coop1.jpg
    The "front" of the coop with the pop door. It's 10x6. There's 2 larger windows on the other side. There's also roof vents both front and back, floor vents and a gable vent. With the human door closed it's about 27 sq ft of ventilation which should be plenty for up to 12 chickens (we only have 3 right now).

coop2.jpg
    Our current prefab coop is on the right. Thanks to the way it's built I should be able to deconstruct it to make a decent brooder plus a broody breaker/isolation box.

coop3.jpg
    Inside south wall - now you can see all the Tyvek. This is the only wall that doesn't have a window. It faces south which goes against most advice on here however that's the one direction we get winds from, so I wanted it solid (it does have a gable and floor vent though). Roost bars will go here.

coop4.jpg
    Inside north wall, more Tyvek. Pop door is on the left and nest boxes will go somewhere on the right. Doing interior nest boxes partially for weather protection and partially for aesthetics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: