U.S. places $40 million chicken order

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pdsavage, Aug 21, 2011.

1. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The United States is stepping in to help bail out another American industry -- chicken farmers and meat processors.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/16/news/economy/chicken_prices/

few reader comments
    feds are artificially propping up the price of meat when they buy up excess inventory of meat...
    Robert Hemedes

Take my tax dollars to buy chicken, so I have to pay more for chicken..
    CHRISTOPHER TOLTON

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...?mod=WSJ_article_comments#articleTabs=article

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    *shakes head* No comment. LOL

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Well, at least they're keeping the chicken products for donation within the US and not shipping it over seas. I didn't know we have a Chicken Council.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    The USDA has been doing this continuously since the 30's. They buy all manner of agricultural products to be distributed.

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

[​IMG]

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The US does this very same practice for many other agricultural field's from other meat's fish and veggetables, grain subsidies etc etc it's nothing new.

8. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    did you know the current govt and epa want to relist all farm vehicles as commercial so all drivers have to have a commercial licence, all vehicles have to have a commercial registration and pat similar fees to 18 wheelers. Is this helping our farming economy?????

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Well that's just crazy! I am NOT going to get a commercial regitstration for my horse. [​IMG]

Or my tractor either. [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Out of date information that is now the stuff of "rural legend", even though it is not accurate.

Read this:
    FMCSA announces changes to trucking regulations
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Crop-share tenant farmers will no longer be considered for-hire and implements of husbandry will not be regulated as trucks under the terms of the announcement issued this morning by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA.)

IFB's Kevin Rund says today's decision wipes away mountains of uncertainty for farmers faced with serious decisions about motor carrier safety regulations (MCSR) and how their operations could function legally.

Illinois Farm Bureau will be hosting FMCSA administrator Anne Ferro and her staff over the next two days visiting farms and agribusinesses. We will use our time with the group to demonstrate and reinforce that they have made the correct decision. We will also turn our attention to working with the agency to address the non-compliance issues faced by 81 Illinois farmers who failed safety audits in February and early March before members called the problem to our attention and a moratorium was imposed on asking the crop-share question.

We consider the decisions on crop-share and implements of husbandry to in-line with what we had requested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by