UCD (unidentified chicken death)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UGAchick, Jun 27, 2010.

1. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    I have 5 chicks that I purchased a few weeks ago from a local guy. They are about 8 or 9 weeks old now (almost fully feathered). All were doing fine until one died today. I can't figure out why and need some help. Nothing got to him and they have plenty of flock raiser and water. I don't see anything visibly wrong with him. What should I do to identify the cause? How do I protect the other 4?

THANKS!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    The only thing I can think of is ..necropsy? Where you can take it to someone to examine it and see what caused its death. I have no idea where you go for that or what it costs..if it does cost anything.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Shouldn't they be on grower and not flock raiser? If you read the back of the bag, it shows what age to feed which type. I noticed that flock grower was not recommended for chickens (according to the chart on the bag) Maybe???

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Flock Raiser can be fed to chickens, ducks, turkeys, etc at any age. I doubt that this is the cause of your problem, as the rest of them would be ill or dying.

I am so sorry for your loss, but sometimes we just don't know what causes it. I had a 4 week old Silkie die last night from unknown causes, but the rest that were in the brooder are fine.

5. chikalady

chikalady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    I don't know what kind of weather you have right now but I live in Va. and it is very hot and humid here. I have heard alot of people around here are having problems with the heat killing some of their chickens. Make sure they have a way of keeping cool, shade, fresh water etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by