UCDavis report- Can someone help me understand this report

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colette peters, May 16, 2019.

1. colette peters

colette peters Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Fairfax, California
    hi all,
    I sent my hen Paris to UCDavis cause I found her dead Sunday the morning I was collecting eggs. I thought maybe she broke her neck, but appears she had internal bleeding??
    I’m having a hard time understanding the wording of her cause of death. :idunno
    I’ve attached the report
    Any help is appreciated
    @Wyorp Rock @Kathy Golla

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    It sounds like your chicken had a severe infection stemming from the reproductive tract and affecting the liver and spleen. The liver ultimately ruptured, which is what actually killed the bird. The source of the infection is still unknown and they are waiting for further results from the lab to determine this. The bird also had some type of fungus in the lungs. This may or may not be related to the infection. They are waiting for further labs to identify the fungus as well.

When they get the rest of the lab results you will hopefully be able to know if this was caused by some sort of virus or bacteria (or the fungus) that would indicate this could be contagious and spread to others in the flock. Hopefully it is not something the others can catch.

3. Trux

Trux Crowing

Mar 26, 2018
    SoSoCal
    Yup that is pretty much what I got from that report. Sorry for your losses

4. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Collette!!
    What happened? Hope you are doing OK!!! How perfectly horrible! You did the right thing sending her to Davis..how hard on you.
    The exact same thing happened to one of my hens in January of this year. I had my vet explain the Davis report to me.
    PirateGirl is correct. The hen had an "oviduct" infection...this is a VERY broad term. Once the hen is weakened by the oviduct infection, many many things can set in and that usually ultimately kills them. My hen was septic also, and that and Ecoli ultimately killed her. An oviduct and Ecoli infection is not contagious, there are a few rare exceptions to that but in general. Sepsis is what happens when the infection gets into the blood and ultimately shuts down organs. Vet said there was nothing that caused it, and nothing that could have ultimately cured it. We could have limped along on permanent antibiotics/pain meds/anti-inflammatories, if we knew there was an infection, but ultimately that would only prolong her life, not save it, and it wouldnt be a great quality of life.
    AND Davis says this is the most common necropsy result they get, of all necropsies nowadays. Oviduct infections that lead to...sepsis, organ failures, salmonella/eColi or something the bird already had contributes to death.
    What breed of hen was Paris?

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Thank you for sharing with us all.
    :hugs

May I ask what you feed her on a daily basis including all treats.

6. colette peters

colette peters Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Fairfax, California
    Oh man this was so tragic and of course unexpected she showed zero signs of being ill! I can’t say when she last laid an egg as I have 15 hens. I hope my others aren’t affected.

I’m not 100% sure of breed but here’s a pic of her when she was a few months old with my daughter.
    Thanks for your condolences

Attached Files:

7. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Chickens are very good at hiding illness. They are good until they are not good.
    You are doing a great job finding out what the causes are. I hope that brings you and your family some comfort. It did for me.
    Let us know what the final report says with the pathology. For instance a vet might think its a good idea to treat all hens for a lung fungal infection.

8. colette peters

colette peters Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Fairfax, California
    I rarely give them any scraps or treats. I do weekly cut Brussels spouts or kale or any salad greens to them. I have once given them chicken which I understand is a big no. Maybe she got a bacteria from that. It was cooked organic chicken. Dunno?
    They only have feed and grit available to them all day. I don’t have any grass to free range. They have enclosed run. I feed them peck and feed grain then ferment it when it’s leaves me with powder towards the end.
    I guess these things can happen. It’s just hard to accept when you try and give them the best life. They are our pets.

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Feeding them chicken is not bad. Who ever told you that was a big no is full of it.

10. colette peters

colette peters Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Fairfax, California
    I get that. It’s so sad that they may suffer and hide their illness. :hit

penny1960 and casportpony like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: