Uggg..I Never thought about SIBBLINGS trying To Mate

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Oct 20, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm kinda stunned/surprised/in shock.... Well I guess I wasn't just expecting this to happen quite yet, after all their just my babies and sister and brother to top it all off. Jack and Jill are about 15 weeks old. Golden Cascade babies, Jack was abandond/left outside of the nest almost lifeless until we found him and crested/gently rubbed and massaged him all over while talking to him. Jill was an egg with a pip still in the nest but soon hatched the next day in the incubator. ~Last night Jack & Jill were swimming and i noticed Jack on Jills back trying to mate(and no i really don't think they were playing but i would like to think that.) lol So this just caught me off guard... But is this a normal thing in animals, them breeding/mating even if their brother and sister? Help.. this is still new to me. Thanks, ~Julie~

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Yes. Normal. I realise its ducks you are asking about, but chickens will do the same thing. Thats why when it came time to get rid of roosters, I got rid of the sibblings and kept the non sibs. LOL.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Its perfectly normal. They don't really see each other as siblings like we do. Ducks, chickens etc. have a big enough gene pool that it would take a few generations of inbreeding before any ill effects/deformations cropped up.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They don't know any better. I'm the wild, siblings rarely mate usually because there are so many other choices for mates that they usually chose an unrelated one to mate with.

I do know of one wild pair of siblings where the male constantly tries to mate with his sister. However, another male that has been with them since they all were ducklings keeps brother away from sister. Plus, sister doesn't let brother mate with her either because she wants the unrelated male.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Even a mother or father/ son or daughter situation wont worry a duck. If it has webbed feet and quacks ( and sometimes doesnt even need to do that [​IMG] ) it is fair game once the hormones kick in. Some line bredding is ok - the first generation hatched from brother and sister arent all going to turn out with extra or missing bits- but it is something that will have an effect if they are allowed to continue for a few generations. Introduction of an unrelated bloodline every few years is a good way to introduce some genetic diversity to avoid problems.

6. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    yup this is common. and alot of people do it to keep a strain going. and breed for the qualitys that the line has and is know for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by