Uggg, not good about my car

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
Well took the car in today. Didn't take him long to find a crack in the catylitic converter. $600 for a new one plus labor. Looking at around $1000.00.
sickbyc.gif
Called another place to get another quote. Don't know yet about that one. DH thinks since the crack is on a weld, he may take it out and try to weld the crack. But, it looks like a pain in the butt to take it out so it might not be worth it. Prayers for a easy fix please!

oh I feel your pain....
My Yukon has been parked for almost 2 years. Had to have it towed home one day. Shortly after hubby thought he would fix it. After it was taken apart (and yes he took more apart than needed) he came to the realization that he's in over his head and doesn't have the time to fix it.
Yes I know leaving it sit that long (with pieces out) isn't good. But there ain't much I can do. Even our kids know they will never drive it..ahahhaha

Good luck.....

We once bought a truck for $500. Had it litterally 2 hours and had to have it towed to the shop. $2500 later it runs like a charm. I was not a happy camper then either. (yes, we did know something was wrong--but thought it was a simple fix). Still drive the beast to this day!!

Catalytic converters are just expensive, and I think welding it would ruin it. How old of a car is it? If it is before testing put a test pipe in to test your exhaust but take it out afterwords. hehe (WEG)
wink.png

I sell converters at an auto parts store, and unless there is something really odd about your car then that price is way too high.

Shop around, and unless no one else has it don't buy it from a dealer.

It's a 98 Mercedes ML 320, so everything that car does is expensive. That quote came from a locally owned imports shop. I don't have the quote from the Mercedes dealership. The quote from the dealership is $1200. YUCK!

Last edited:
Quote:
hence the reason my folks sold their Benz. They have my moms Camry now and it isnt nearly as expensive to fix.

Oh and my Aunts/Uncles are also driving Camrys and Hyundais now. All got rid of their Lexus', Infinitis' and Benzs'. Not even used parts for those cars are cheap. But at least you can interchange a lot of parts on them. Dealerships wont do that though, used parts NOT special to THAT brand
roll.png

I have a Mercedes 500SL. Parts and labor are very expensive. That's why mine will sit in the driveway for a few months at a time. It's my second car so I don't have to drive it.

Mercedes are very nice though.

Back
Top Bottom