uggg...TuRnInG eGgS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

I just can't seem to get the daily turning, duck eggs on time. ~I Always turn but, Never the same pattern. Always off by hours. *HOW MUCH BETTER(for the duck)IS IT TO TURN BY HAND vs. USE AUTOMATIC TURNER? I'm really considering, using the LG Auto Turner.? What do you think?? [​IMG] Thanks, Julie

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A roll turner is much better for the eggs than having them standing on end. The ducks themselves turn the eggs often- in an incubator most people mark eggs so you know how far a 180 degree turn is. The mother ducks dont mark their eegs- they just give them all a flip. AS long as when you turn them- they arent on one side for extended periods- and they lay on each side equally- IE: turning an odd number of times each day- so each night ( the longest time they go unturned usually ) they will have equal time on either side. While turning at regular intervals is important- it is not always possible- but try to make sure that they just have equal time on each side.

3. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    if this helps i'm doing 5-7 am 1:30-3 pm 7:30-9 pm

4. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

I prefer Auto turners or using a chicken whos just went broody.

5. Hi! Mine get turned twice a day --- morning and evening. I don't so much 'turn' as roll middle eggs to the outside and outside eggs more toward the center. Candling days are really the only days they get '3 moves', because I usually do candling around lunch.
    I DO like using the LG turner for duck eggs, but I only have one incubator with a turner (and it's usually full of chicken eggs).
    Oh yes, I'll use a broody hen for duck eggs any day. Oddly, my broody ducks have been unable to hatch any eggs --- they all rot.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I use both methods like I told ya in your previous thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by