uggggghhh.. dog just killed one of our babies. :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Amyh, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    We got two silkie chicks a few weeks ago. One of them did not make it due to who knows what... it was not growing and it's foot was disfigured. So we had one blue silke and then got two mixed chicks to keep him/her company. My two year old loves these chicks. She adores them and wants to play with them all the time. I let her play with them one at a time and she does so well with them, it makes me so proud!!

Today we had the dogs locked in the kitchen with the baby gate and my daughter was playing with our silkie chick in the living room. She put him/her on the floor and the little bird walked right through the gate to the drooling dogs... our beagle (the chicken killer) snatched it up immediately and broke it's neck. I feel AWFUL! I never thought the chick would go straight towards the dogs barking and making such a fuss. I didn't even have time to stop the whole thing, it happened so quickly.

I just hate this! We are not having any luck with these chicks. [​IMG]

2. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    [​IMG] AWWW... I'm soooo sorry for you!!! [​IMG]

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    u should try keeping the dog and the chicks in seperate rooms if u can move the brooder. i managed to raise 10 chicks with a dog and 2 blood thirsty cats in our house thanks to a wire mesh screen that we moleded to fit over the top of our brooder and by keeping them in our basement with the door closed. im sorry to hear that your little chick didnt make it [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for everyone.

Get some hardware cloth and put that over/around the bottom of the baby gate, this will stop the slip thrus by curious chicks.

5. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:The dogs and chicks are completely separated... it's just that the chick slipped through the baby gate that was doing the separating... [​IMG] I just didn't think he would go running towards the barking dogs!!

I try to be so careful, but this was just something I didn't anticipate. [​IMG] I feel very badly about it, but boy knowing that you raised 10 chicks without incidence make me feel better! Thanks! [​IMG]

6. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    I'm sorry that happened to you guys. I haven't had the best luck either.

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sorry to hear about your chick. Mine also have no fear of the other animals. I think with domestication it has been bred out of them (except for the flying overhead things). Hope your little girl was not to upset by the whole incident.[​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That is just so tragic! I know how you feel. I lost three hens this summer, all due to my stupidity, ignorance, and inattention. Each was tragic, and I felt horrible for weeks after each death.

Each time, I forced myself to figure out what happened, face it, and correct it so it won't happen again. It's sad these sweet chickens have to be the ones to pay for our learning curve.

Then I decided the best therapy was to go out and buy chicks! I suggest you do just that! It'll make you feel better, make your little girl feel better, and you need MORE CHICKS!

9. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] HAHA!! Sounds like you have a problem! You're in the right place! I lost 4.... So I bought 10 [​IMG] Now that'll be $200 for this session of therapy you can send cash [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I acctually just came home with 4 RIR babies [​IMG]

10. Amyh

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG] I have really considered rushing out and buying more ASAP, but I'm trying to control myself until after my human baby makes his or her appearance! I'm hoping to go into labor this weekend and then off to find some more chicks!! Thanks for the smile!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by