UGGGH !@#$ chickens definatly don't like umbrellas...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Emzyyy, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I let my 3 bantams out today just watching them graze, and it started raining really hard so I got a unbrella and started out of the garage to catch them and put 'em back up. Right when I took a step across the concrete into the mud they went beserk and flew across the yard. I was wearing flip flops which were covered in mud by the time I even made it to the actual chicken coop so I just took them off. I tried to catch my Golden Seabright Bantam first the dog decided it looked fun (he would never harm my chickens) and chased him right up into the garage which is VERY EXTREMLY hard to catch when you have a 5 car garage filled with the unknowns. When I finally did catch him I easily caught my Modern Splash but by now Im completly covered in mud. Next I went to go catch my IDK what type of Old English he is some people say chocolate by he has yellow in him...He went flying off somewhere when I came out, somewhere around the house. WOW! those things CAN fly, just like birds in the sky. After I wandered around 10 minutes trying to find him I find him in a spot of tall grass but when I approach I scare him and he goes flying up again almost landing on our roof. I eventually cornered him and caught him bringing him under the unbrella. "OH well this isn't so bad!?" is what he looks like he is thinking. Im going to teach my new chicks to be unafraid of unbrellas because this isn't the first time...

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww poor things lol. I wonder what they thought it was?!

3. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Bless your heart - If your Hubby or Neighbor had a video camera, you could have a UTube or Home Funniest Video action going on!

Is it safe to say you took a shower after the mud bath and bird chasing?

I'm amazed at what will freak an animal out.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I bet they thought it was a hawk or something swooping in the get them! [​IMG]

-Kim

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Hehe... I went out with a broom to sweep off the patio this afternoon. FREAK OUT! They ran/flew away as fast as they could! [​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    This is a great posting, thank you!

I live in the Seattle area ("Land of the Water-logged") and my girls will surely see umbrellas in the years to come. It never occured to me that they'd freak out over this. I'll start conditioning them this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by