UGGH!! I forgot to turn off my turner!! ***(Photo Added)****

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Azriel, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I think my brain has turned to mush from sleep deprivation. Besides working 10 hour days, we are spending every spare min. trying to get our hay up in good shape between the rain storms. So, one batch I'm turning by hand, the other was on the turner. When I checked last night no sound from any of the eggs,all looked ok and I thought I had another week to go. This morning I go in to turn eggs, and I hear peeping, I think whats peeping?? OMG 2 chicks in the bator with the turner on. They are all ready dry and fuffy, man do I feel dumb!![​IMG] So, I go to unplug the turner and unplug the bator instead, then I panic thinking NO can't unplug the bator, plug that back in unplug the turner, take a deep breath, set the bator upright, tell the chicks how sorry I am for the ride and all this before my 1st cup of coffee. Hope the rest hatch OK. Those poor chicks must have thought they were on a carnival ride. I just checked, and have at least 4 more eggs pipped.
    I just gave my broody 10 eggs to hatch on wed. , I should have just put these eggs under her for the last few days. [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad I got my upstairs brooder cleaned up last Wed., just wasn't thinking I would need it for another week.

Edit to add photo

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I feel ya. I am doing the hay between rain thing as well, and completely forgot my last hatch. Didn't have a clue when I put them in, did nothing for humidity or lockdown since I didn't know when they were due. It was the best hatch yet. The chicks are the biggest ever and growing like weeds. Haying season is good for them.

I put in another batch and this time, although the hatch day is written on the eggs, I am going to do zip again and see if history repeats itself. I am hoping that my crappy hatch rates have been from trying too hard. It would be nice to fix things by doing nothing.

3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    These are my babies hatched with the turner on, I had one more that piped, but didn't make it. Lav chicks have to be about the cutest babies ever.I still have a few more eggs in the bator I'll check tonight before I toss them, today would be day 23.
    [​IMG]

4. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:They are adorable I have buff orpingtons but I have to agree that your lavenders are too cute !!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Mine hatch plenty of times with the turners going.
    I seldom catch the ones in the big cabinet bator and they wind up down on the bottom, safe and sound. I worry more about the ones with the plastic turners as I have had folks tell me their chicks have had messed up legs and one even got it's neck in between and killed.

7. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Quote:oops [​IMG] that was an accident, just playing with smilies... [​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by