UGGH This has been the most MISERABLE day.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ThePolishPrincess, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Owning poultry can be so hard. This afternoon I went out to let the chickens out and saw a giant hawk on the grass. I automatically flipped out and rushed over. The hawk flew off and I was left with the freshly killed carcass of my last female call duck hen. I was literally late by maybe 2 minutes...she was missing tons of feathers and had a huge gash in her neck. I could hear her mate calling for her from the safety of the goat's pen as if to say "The danger's gone, Love, come out!" [​IMG] I feel horrible. He lost his other mate about 2 months ago...she just didn't come home one night. So I decided that I guess I have to keep everyone in the run until it gets later in the evening from now on.

I went near the coop to call everyone out into the run again (they were all freaking out because of the hawk) and saw my Sultan hen COVERED in egg yolk, which I'm assuming broke an egg while she was trying to lay her own. She was trying to eat it off of her and the others soon tried to do the same. [​IMG] So I decided to do something I never did: which was to give her a quick bath. I set up my 3 tubs, did the soap thing, took her from the coop and plopped her in. When I got her nice and wet, I saw that our mite situation was not as clear as it could be...I thought they were more under control but saw a bunch of mite dust in areas I didn't notice before. So I did what I could with baby shampoo, dried her off, and threw her in the basement under a heatlamp. I then rushed outside and decided to dust all of the birds.

Now I have a chicken in the basement, a confused and lonely drake, and a whole bunch of exhausting days ahead of me. I hope my little guy doesn't change because of this mess, I hope that the animals don't start killing each other because they're all in the same run, I hope my two little boys (rooster and drake) don't start fighting, I hope my drake doesn't look to make any of the chicken hens his own, I hope...I hope alot of things.

RIP Yodel...You brought so much joy and love to your owners' eyes...and you made a drake very, very happy.

[​IMG]

Owning poultry can be so hard. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry you had such a rough day, that stinks

Imp

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]. Keep your chin up, things will get better. [​IMG]

4. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    [​IMG] It most definately can be, but think of all the good things about owning poultry.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Thanks all. [​IMG] My bath-chicken decided to give me a little egg-present a few minutes ago. That was cute at least.

Ugh...just been one of those days.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Aw - [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yodel was so gorgeous, stupid Hawk!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm so sorry. She was stunning! [​IMG]

8. dancingsquirrel

dancingsquirrel Out Of The Brooder

She's beautiful. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

10. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    What a beautiful girl, I'm sorry you lost her. Used to love hawks, but now that I own poultry, I can't look at one without wanting to lasso it and drown it.

Things will be better tomorrow, when the eggs are laid and bath-chicken is fluffy again. ^-^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by