Uggh.. Water-er is Dirty All the Time! Ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by new2chickens2011, Nov 5, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi y'all...
    So, my girls' waterer is out in the run, raised on some bricks, but still gets dirty ALL THE TIME. Cleaning it twice a day probably wouldn't even be enough. Anyone have ideas for raising or mounting them that gets them less dirty?
    Thanks!

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I mount mine on some bricks to prevent dirt from getting in (doesnt always work, but has help keep the water clean) Maybe consider nipple waterers?

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi new2chickens2011,

check into 'nipple waterers', and someone who advertises on BYC for 'poop free waterer'. I have dry fine, fine soil--- I have a real excavator in one pen, and she throws the dirt high into the air---it flys on the wind lands in the waterer, and within about 5-minutes of putting out fresh water---it has debris, leaf humus, dirt, dust twigs and grass. (she really is an amazing digger)---- It is clean water with stuff floating on top.

I got the nipples on eBay from CoopsNmore---and they are a great seller. Now I just need to get out the drill and get to work to make a new waterer. I hang mine on the side of the run----and if it is high enough for the nipples to be at the right height, the dust that she kicks up when foraging for bugs, digging up stuf and creating and using a dust bath---won't get quite that high.

Good luck---clean water is important to chickens.

4. Steadfast

Steadfast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    NC. USA
    My Coop
    A spoonfull or two of bleach works well.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    All 3 of my coops have nipple waterers. I use them in my brooder so the chicks learn early where the water is and how to get it. I have one in the brooder now with 30+ button quail. Try them once and you'll never go back.

6. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I kind of have the same problem but I have ducks in with my chickens and they load the thing down with dirt. It will be awhile before I get the duck pen built so I just have to keep an eye on it.
    If possible hang it up. No tree, get a camping tri-pod for cooking (or build one) and hang it from that. Make sure it is just high enough for them to reach it but not kick dirt in it.

7. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    i have mine hung by a chain, i found that helps a lot, what helps even more is either having it on bricks in the coop or hung in the coop.
    hope this helps

8. Newwell

Newwell Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Nipple waterers are BEST!!! I got tired of cleaning the water dish out 2-3 times a day. So I made my own waterer. I used a 2 liter soda bottle, drilled an 11/32" hole in the cap, screwed the nipple in the hole, used a little silicone caulk on the outside of the cap around the nipple (24 hr cure time), ran a small dowel through the bottle, attached a loop of wire to the dowel, hung it up, and instant waterer that does not get dirty. I hang it from hooks in the coop & the run. When they were 6 weeks old, it took my chickens all of about 5 minutes to figure it out.
    I've seen the 4 nipples put in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. I don't need that yet as mine are going on 8 weeks old now.
    I ordered mine on eBay for <$1 each & got them in a week.
    Wish I had a better pic so you could see how it's made, but:
    [​IMG]

9. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:"Any Ideas?" Yes, don't look at the dirt. If they can drink out of a pond or rainwater puddles-----what's the problem? See my BYC page for pics of my setup with rainwater collection. A little slime and algae hasn't hurt them in twenty years, why worry about it now?

10. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    THanks for all the ideas [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by