1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugghhhh, I got a Broody!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NottinghamChicks, Mar 21, 2011.

1. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an adorable Silkie mix who is officially broody. Yesterday there wer a bunch of tiny feathers in the nest and this morning she was still in there. I have been taking all the eggs and she wasn't too happy , but she continues to sit on nothing. That is the only nest box in that coop as there are 5 hens. I am curious as to how this is all oing to play out. I still plan on reaching under her to take all of her coopmates eggs so do you think she will go the whole 21days if I keep taking them? No rooster either so her efforts are all for nothing. I thought about harching a few but decided against it as the only person I know right now with fertile eggs has Silkies and the are not my favorite. No offense to anyone [​IMG]

2. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    i'm sure you can find some eggs on craigslist.com or ebay.com. I love to let them raise chicks, i'm sue you will too. you will diffidently have to get another nest since you only have one. you can buy a little toat and fill it with straw or hay to suit her needs. so that answers the ?, don't take eggs from her while she is sitting b/c you might end up eating a chick for breakfast.

Btw: I am a silkie fan. very lovable and great mothers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You could always get hatching eggs here. I've had great luck hatching eggs from BYC'ers here. Or you can go to your feedstore and get a couple chicks for her to mother. (slip them in at night)

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Only one? I have 3 Bantys and 2 big girls,,,, I'll be happy to send a couple of the Broody Crew! These compete with each other all year to see who can go broody the most often for the longest period of time.

5. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    lucky [​IMG] i've been WANTING my girls to start going broody, but so far this season, everyone is laying. i've even been searching CL etc looking for broody hens.

6. NottinghamChicks

Okay I was still hopeful that she wasn't broody but... Whe I got home from work today, there she was sitting on all the other girls eggs keeping them warm and happy. I had been suspecting her for over a week now and I was right. I am having a hard time eating all of them so perhaps one less egg a day is a good thing. Three inches of snow and 30 degrees out so slipping a couple of chicks under her may not be a great idea. It did cross my mind when I was buying chick starte today for the d'Anvers that will be here next week. She is also low girl on the Totem Pole so I wonder how good she we be at protecting them. Any insight into her status and ability to brood? I do know that since she has been setting her other little outcast friend is getting chased about the run. Fortunately they are not brutal, but little Olive keeps going to the door and looking at her friend in the box and talking to her. She is soooo lonely without her girlfriend.

It's the most interesting it's been in a long time, but at the same time a bit sad.

WriterofWords, you should market your water because it apparently has something in it!!!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I say give her the D'Anvers. Or just a few of them if you're getting a lot of them.

8. NottinghamChicks

I really hesitate to give her some of my d'Anvers because she is so low on the Totem Pole, they are so expensive. and we got four inches of fresh snow yesterday and last night. I looked on CL for eggs in NH and noone has any. Oh well, hope she breaks soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by