1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh! 1 Egg a day-Daylight to blame??? Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by walkerkm, Nov 14, 2009.

1. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    I have 9 hens that are all under 2 years old. I'm currently getting 1 egg a day, on a good day, some days none....

These girls have it made-they a very much pampered, loved and cared for.

They are fed a mixture of Layer pellets, layer crumble and cracked corn as it's getting cold here in MA.
    I have now added flock raiser to the mix to give them a little more protien. 1 of my 2 RIR is loosing feathers in her neck area-which i assume is molting.

I added light to their coop last week from 5 am-7am and just yesterday added 4:30-6:30 pm. i used to get 2 huge eggs a day from my RIR's like clockwork. Now, i'm lucky to get 1 a day. Out of 7 days this week-i only got 3 eggs. The 2 egg days are far gone.

Since i really only have 5 out of 9 that should be laying, my question is...am i doing something wrong? Should i use the light? does it really make a difference or should i just turn it off for the winter? Why would the 3 others that i brought into my original flock lay eggs and then stop? They have all adjusted well and have everything they need...

3 EE's are 24-25 weeks (getting ready to lay)
    2 RIR's are approx. 14 mos. (my best layers this spring and summer egg every day from them)
    1 Buff that is 18 mos. (bought at a poultry show in august-hasn't layed 1 egg for me)
    1 BR 8 mos-i was told that she was laying when i got her (bought with sex-link) got in october
    1 black sex-link 8 mos-year i was told that she was laying when i got her October
    1 NH Red-8 mos. old (getting ready to lay)

Here's the black sexlink with the BR:
    [​IMG]

inside the coop: Yes, they have window boxes with real flowers and curtins on all windows-even art work that my kids made...
    [​IMG]

The Buff:
    [​IMG]

2 RIR's
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm no "eggs-pert" - but from what I've read on here it is normal for layers to slow down as cold weather arrives & daylight decreases.

I have 5 pullets - now about 8mos old - and have gone from 5 to 3 eggs a day.
    One of my girls is a foofy non-production breed (Houdan) and she hasn't produced anything for about a week.
    The others - 2 Black Stars & 2 Delawares - are still giving me eggs, but as we are having a warmer-than-usual Fall, I expect that may slow down or stop when the true cold weather gets here.

BTW: your coop is adorable!
    I have a window in mine too, but have yet to add curtains as I don't sew...at all.
    Guess I'll check the $1 Store for some cheap fabric to hang there.

3. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    Thanks! we actually have 4 windows of which have curtins-i just bought a few yards of fabric at jo-ann's and sinched it up onto hooks that screw into the wood of the coop (wal-mart hardware area 1.64 for 4 hooks). Everyone thought i was nuts, but it really gives a nice touch to a plain wood coop! Enjoy your day!

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:If you ever decide to stop raising chickens can I rent the place? [​IMG]

5. kmoranjr1

kmoranjr1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    e. wareham, ma.
    I have 7 hens ( 3 RIR, 4 BR) that average 5 eggs a day. There is a light in the coop that is on a timer. It turns on at 3:30 am and shuts off at 7 am, this gives them daylight of around 14 hours and I have not seen any noticable drop in the eggs produced. Maybe something like this would help you, I have read about this setup in many threads here and it seems many others have had success this way. Good Luck,
    Kevin

6. sunshineboy

sunshineboy New Egg

Nov 14, 2009
    Hey Kelly,

I live in shrewsbury and I have a friend who lives on chesterfield (around the corner from you) and we both have chickens. I just started with chickens this year and I have been blessed to get 5-6 eggs per day from 6 hens. I add supplemental light at 4 in the morning (60 watt compact flourescent light). This is my first post on BYChx--you brought me out of the woodwork with your proximity. I believe I have driven by and seen your coop before.

btw...how do you post pix?

Sunshineboy

7. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I have done the same thing. The light goes on at 4 am and then goes off at 8:00pm. I use a low voltage (40 w) CFB. Yesterday I got 18 eggs from 24 girls. I average 10-18 a day which is down slightly from the peak this summer (now more 10-12 days than 18) but I think it is more related to the fact they are moulting.

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    My pullets are doin well right now using a light from 3:30 - 9:00am. I have 13 potential layers and have been getting 10-12 a day and did even get 13 one day last week.

Only suggestion I would have is that you might continue the light, give plenty of fresh water and cut out any food except for layer feed. It should have to optimal mix for laying. I am not against treats completely but your hens may prefer to eat nothing but treats and not get the proper nutrition for egg production.

Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by