Ugh, animal adoption...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickerdoodle13, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    So I found this place on Craigslist that was selling a rat cage for $20. I was interested in the cage, but the lady also asked me if I would be interested in adopting rats as well. I said I was and she went on to describe the ones she has: seven baby female dumbo rats. Perfect, I'm thinking. Well, then she hits me with this HUGE adoption application that asks all these personal questions, asks for references, my vet's phone number, the names and ages of family members, my address, and even asks me to put down every animal I have had over the years, even ones that have died and to explain what happened to those and whether or not I took them to the vet.

I understand that these sorts of questions are great for people looking for cats and dogs, but I am only wanting to adopt rats! Not to mention her adoption fee is $10 per rat and I can find rats people are giving away! They are $4 in the pet store and the breeder near me sells them for about $5. I also can't understand how in the world I would explain EVERY animal I have ever owned! It has to be hundreds! Also, the house visit would be difficult because I live on my college campus, but I also go home some weekends and during breaks. While the college itself does not allow pets, most RAs do allow them. I have talked to my RA and she is fine with me having a small, quiet, and clean pet. I also live in a single, so no room mates to worry about either. However, I just don't really want some person coming to my room or to my house and snooping around.

This is so frustrating, because I really would love to take in a rescued rat, even if it is older! I just hate how difficult these adoption places can be! I know it's probably necessary and I keep forgetting that although I know I'm a good pet owner, these other people do not. Grrr, we had the same problem when we were looking to adopt a horse and ended up buying one from auction instead.

I just feel like it's too much work for a pet rat (or two)!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That doesn't sound like an adoption to me. Sounds like she's a breeder. I'd just get that cage and go somewhere else.

3. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Our humane society has them sometimes. Alot less paper work and you know that they are rescues. you might check there.

BTW I would just buy the cage...I agree it sounds like she is a breeder.

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    You have to be careful of the "rescue" groups out there. Seems to be the new upcoming thing to do I guess, start a "rescue" group for a certain breed of dog, or any and all dogs. I just hope they have the animals' best interest in mind and not out to make a quick buck on the animals that they "rescued".

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    At least I don't feel crazy for thinking the way I do now!

I told her that I was not interested, unless she cannot find homes for the girls and becomes desparate. I don't think I am going to get the cage either, because I found out the place is about an hour away. Just not worth it IMO when I can get a free cage from the lady I work for. I really liked the one she had for sale, but oh well. Other opportunities will come up! I think I am just gonna wait until the summer time.

6. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Shelter in the next county has EIGHTY bun-buns that are basically 'unadoptable' because of the rigorous app, possible 3 un-scheduled home visits & high fees. They 'don't understand' why noone's adopting, according to my pet store people.

7. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Sounds like a breeder to me - but she also sounds like someone who does not want his/her rats sold for snake food.
    I jumped thru all the hoops and blew all the whistle when I was trying to adopt a special needs dog that was going to have tremendous vet bills for at least a year.
    After all the hoops and whistles over the course of 3 months plus a home visit by the foster mom and 2 other people. The foster mom decided to keep the dog.
    I went through that whole process two times with the same results before I said forget this.
    Buy the cage - go to petsmart.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

80! No wonder they can't find homes! Just do a one pager and tell the adopters that if it doesnt, work, THEN bring them back! Else they will have hundreds that will live un attended in cages before they look for a "good" home!

Humans are the silliest animals I know.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I'm with you, silkie! Peoples is stoopit. When I adopted my dog, they thought she was a he, didn't know she was already fixed & threatened us if we didn't get her fixed when she WAS already. Ended up paying the vet the spay fee just so he would verify!! Oh, and they said they had some records on her, too- which I called & asked for 3-4 times. They always said, Sure- they'd mail em. Butkus.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by